Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Cleaning Old Contacts?
Cleaning Old Contacts? [message #27808] Thu, 17 May 2007 07:29 Go to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
In the past, I cleaned some synthesizer key contacts with potentiometer cleaner and also alcohol. But now the contacts have sat without being played for a few years, and that doesn't seem to work as well.

Do you have any suggestions for what I should try? Thanks.

Re: Cleaning Old Contacts? [message #27809 is a reply to message #27808] Thu, 17 May 2007 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Try de-oxite cleaner on them first, it's a bit like contact cleaner only better. Depending on what the contacts are like, I've used pencil erasers before on contacts if they fit, the other thing I've used is those finger nail file boards, like women use on there nails. Just don't get one with to course of grit because you dont want to put gouges in the contacts.
HTH
Bill W.

Re: Cleaning Old Contacts? [message #27810 is a reply to message #27809] Fri, 18 May 2007 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
Thanks for the suggestions, Bill. The two keyboards in question have wire leads that I think are called "J hooks" that make contact with a common wire running the length of the keyboard.

I assume I could get de-oxite at an electronics store that was a little more high end than The Source, or Radio Shack?

Re: Cleaning Old Contacts? [message #27811 is a reply to message #27810] Fri, 18 May 2007 11:28 Go to previous message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes I would go with the de-oxite, it's available from electronic supply stores, those sound like the pressure sensitive contacts to me. I don't think I'd use anything else on them but some sort of spray cleaner.

Previous Topic: Amp cuts in and out
Next Topic: Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 cabinet dimensions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 11:40:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio