Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 cabinet dimensions?
Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 cabinet dimensions? [message #27203] Mon, 30 January 2006 18:42 Go to next message
ZD Amps is currently offline  ZD Amps
Esquire

Does anyone have the dimensions (or better yet, plans) for a Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 2x12 speaker cabinet? We recently bought the head of this amp and want to make cabinet that looks like the original (even though finding the same tolex will be extremely difficult). We have looked everywhere for them online but no luck. We know that it has Jensen C12Q speakers in it and it is wired for 4 ohms output, but we want to know the exact dimensions if possible. If anyone has one and could measure it or has the measurements somewhere, it would be a great help. Thanks!!

ZD Amps
KMZRW@aol.com

Re: Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 cabinet dimensions? [message #27274 is a reply to message #27203] Thu, 18 May 2006 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geezer_rock is currently offline  geezer_rock
Esquire
I had one of these as a kid, but the amp was toast. So I traded out the Jensens with those in my Univox combo and chucked the head. Somewhere along the line I unloaded the cab. But I still look for these occasionally because I once read a review that said they were really quite good for their time. I just located a dealer that has one, and perhaps they would be kind enough to take some detailed dimensions of the speaker cab if they still have it in stock (and you still need the info, of course). Here's a link:

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=72611437-164d-4d5e-a461-c9099438a0b5&Item=856350

Re: Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 cabinet dimensions? [message #27402 is a reply to message #27274] Mon, 09 April 2007 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
borgward is currently offline  borgward
Esquire
I lost my cabinet, and need the dimensions as well.

I burned the coils on the speakers (Please don't ask)

That amp is great. Its great for small rooms. I plug my Stratocaster #0309 into both channels to get that early Marshall crunch w/o splitting anyones ear drums.

I bought the amp from the original owner in 1974

Re: Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 cabinet dimensions? [message #27406 is a reply to message #27402] Thu, 12 April 2007 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geezer_rock is currently offline  geezer_rock
Esquire
Wow, I completely forgot about this post! Were you able to locate a cabinet to get the dimensions?

Great to hear the amp works well and sounds good. Old tube amps seem to be in demand these days. The new boutique stuff is pretty expensive, although the new technology is truly awesome, with a lot of flexibilty in tonal settings and modeling effects.

I recently restored a CMI Electronics SG-410 (c.a. 1973) that I bought new in 1976. The power tubes were a bit hard to find (two RCA 8417s) but I won an eBay auction for a decent price. Then I located a really good tube amp tech locally who went through the whole thing for almost nothing.

I play a Stat Plus Deluxe and a Les Paul Classic (I prefer the Strat, if you can believe that!) and I'm really enjoying the warm sound of the tube amp. I've been using a solid state Fender Stage 100 as a replacement (into two DT-412 cabs). It has tons of power, and Fender did a decent job of making it sound almost like a tube amp. But for home use why do I need to get knocked across the studio?

About the same era as the Silvertone, Wards (Airline) made some big cool-looking tube amps. I had the head from a GVC-9052 at the same time I had the 1484. I've been able to find pictures of both on the 'net (just for the sake of nostalgia).

Re: Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 cabinet dimensions? [message #27435 is a reply to message #27203] Sun, 20 May 2007 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
L.J.D. is currently offline  L.J.D.
Esquire
Did you ever receive accurate dimensions for a 1484 (it's been well over a year since you posted this)? If not, ping back ... I can help you out. By the way, are you positive that "Tolex" was the vendor for the covering?
L.J.D.

Re: Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 cabinet dimensions? [message #27436 is a reply to message #27203] Sun, 20 May 2007 23:13 Go to previous message
L.J.D. is currently offline  L.J.D.
Esquire
Did you ever receive accurate dimensions for a 1484 (it's been well over a year since you posted this)? If not, ping back ... I can help you out. By the way, are you positive that "Tolex" was the vendor for the covering?
L.J.D.

Previous Topic: Cleaning Old Contacts?
Next Topic: opening the mg 50 cabinet??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 09:25:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers