Home » Audio » General » My observation or hallucination :)
My observation or hallucination :) [message #2641] Sun, 15 January 2006 22:52 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master

I noticed something about audio I had never considered before after changing my setup around. I moved most of the equipment to a cabinet next to my chair which is about 8’ from the speakers. I bought a TV to try my cheap HT setup on. So all that’s on the shelf where you see the equipment in the picture is a TV. What I noticed was that without the equipment to look at when playing music it was harder to get drawn into the music.
This tells me that seeing is a part of the whole experience. At least for me it is. I was tempted to switch everything back last night. However, I stuck it out and now the convenience of having things at fingertip control outweighs the loss of visual satisfaction. Looking at the damned TV (which I don’t watch other than a movie now and then) just doesn’t make it. Maybe I should just buy some old lava lamps and be happy 
Has anyone besides me noticed a similar phenomenon or am I just dreaming?

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2644 is a reply to message #2641] Mon, 16 January 2006 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
MWG; those are Altec's under the shelf? If so I have mine in the living room and do a lot of listening in the kitchen. One of the best things about them for me is they still sound good; like music even in the other room. Thats why I am surprised at the post; I always thought the big horn loaded two ways did that very well. One of the reason's I like them.
Maybe it is the location in the room itself?
Is that a Mac amp and KLH's on top?

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2646 is a reply to message #2641] Mon, 16 January 2006 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We are visual creatures, after all. Maybe that's one of the attractions of tube amps. They are interesting and attractive, warm glow and chrome, etc. So maybe you have a point.

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2647 is a reply to message #2646] Mon, 16 January 2006 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Wayne; I don't see a tube amp in the picture??

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2648 is a reply to message #2647] Mon, 16 January 2006 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right, my bad.
How 'bout this:

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2649 is a reply to message #2648] Mon, 16 January 2006 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That'll do. When did you get that one?

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2650 is a reply to message #2649] Mon, 16 January 2006 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't have one of those, but I do think it's groovy.

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2651 is a reply to message #2647] Mon, 16 January 2006 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
If you look closely on the extreme right side of the bench you'll see a MC-275 with the tube cover on. Now that it's sitting at my side it keeps me warm I took the tube cover off to help it stay a little cooler in the cabinet.

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2652 is a reply to message #2648] Mon, 16 January 2006 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
What a nice looking amp that is. I can just tell by looking I cannot afford it

Re: My observation or hallucination :) [message #2653 is a reply to message #2644] Mon, 16 January 2006 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Grand Master
Yes they are 846A's I bought in 1968. They sound pretty good to me. My point originally was that at least for me sight and the mind play almost as big a part in music enjoyment as the quality of the equipment and I was wondering if anyone else was similarly affected. There is a MC-2505 and a MC-275. I bought the 2505 in 1971 and the 275 was a gift from a friend. It belonged to his Dad. One of the reasons the sound isn't as full to begin with is the speakers way too close together. Mine need to be around 10-12' apart to image and produce a full soundstage. If I'm using those words correctly

Previous Topic: Lone Star Bottlehead meeting Pictures On Line
Next Topic: RCA cleaning tip...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 05:47:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout