Home » Audio » Speaker » If you ...
Re: More questions? [message #23931 is a reply to message #23927] Mon, 03 September 2007 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex is currently offline  Rex
Esquire
Re: The symmetrical coverage is allowed with a line of woofers on each side flanking a line of planar or ribbon drivers. McIntosh has some similar designs except they use dome tweeters for the center.

What would be the advantage sonically of putting in four lines of woofers? It would certainly double the cost.

Re: More questions? [message #23932 is a reply to message #23931] Mon, 03 September 2007 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
Do you mean four lines of woofers per speaker?

one idea [message #23933 is a reply to message #23921] Tue, 04 September 2007 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
Hi Rick,

Have you considered a 4 stack box. As the owner got more funding for the project they could add more speakers on top. The x-over would have to be on the outside since adding 4 more drivers would change the sound.

-Linc

Re: one idea [message #23934 is a reply to message #23933] Tue, 04 September 2007 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Adding more drivers changes the crossover and can also change the wiring configuration. With that in mind I wouldn't go that route but if you're running active it certainly would be easy to do. I'm also not sure how much of a negative effect the gaps in the lines would be.

Re: More questions? [message #23935 is a reply to message #23932] Tue, 04 September 2007 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex is currently offline  Rex
Esquire
No....two lines of woofers with a line of tweeters in the center. Isn't that what you were talking about when you said symetrical?

Re: More questions? [message #23936 is a reply to message #23935] Tue, 04 September 2007 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
The extra line of woofers will provide identical coverage in the horizontal plane to the left or right. With a single line of woofers this isn't possible though you can correct for it with a DSP crossover like the DEQX or TacT. The second woofer line also is of benefit to the smaller drivers by doubling the surface area and increasing output capability.

Re: More questions? [message #23937 is a reply to message #23936] Wed, 05 September 2007 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Re: "The extra line of woofers will provide identical coverage in the horizontal plane to the left or right. With a single line of woofers this isn't possible though you can correct for it with a DSP crossover like the DEQX or TacT."

OK(if I may step in here).... But what is the hearing difference and what is it that you are correcting for that you can hear a change for? Since I have a line of 16 3.5 inch woofers connected to a line of 3/4 inch dome tweeters with flanges cut to a c-to-c of about .9 inch, what difference would I hear by adding anther line of 3.5 inchers on the other side of the tweeters? I'd also have to be careful of the distance between the woofers causing potential horizontal comb filter issues.

Re: More questions? [message #23938 is a reply to message #23937] Wed, 05 September 2007 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Adding another row of 3.5" woofers won't help your design; in fact, it will make things worse because of your driver selection.

Re: More questions? [message #23939 is a reply to message #23938] Wed, 05 September 2007 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
And why would that be? I hate general blind statements that don't have any facts to support them, as if they are painfully obvious.

The Macintosh symetrical design speakers that you alluded to use a design that is similar in the speakers to mine, except that the vertical combing of the tweeters is a nightmare, and the horizontal combing is also a nightmare.

Are you saying that your proposed design using symetrical is better than the McIntosh, or are you just into dicing my design again. (I'm hoping that you have reasons and that its not the second, because then you have violated our agreement and freed me from it also.)

Marlboro

Re: More questions? [message #23940 is a reply to message #23939] Wed, 05 September 2007 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
Why would the vertical or horizontal combing on the McIntosh be any worse than your design?

Previous Topic: Replacing Monsoon MM:1000 speakers
Next Topic: Basshorn article in AudioXpress
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 20:48:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout