Home » Audio » Speaker » Why won't a single driver speaker do metal?
Re: a good question [message #21151 is a reply to message #21149] Fri, 05 August 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Ed,

I think we are talking about two different approaches. Let me add some more to the discussion.

Lets say one is starting from scratchand the new full range drivers just arrived on the doorstep, the question is what to build.

Path 1 might be a back loaded horn. So the back loaded horn is built and the hope is that the bass will be outstanding and no subwoofer is required. The full range driver is all that is used and the entire audio spectrum is covered. Great intent but this is not what I see often when reading the audio forums. The builder puts together the back loaded horn and then starts looking for a sub because the very bottom end is disappointing. I have seen this many times.

Path 2 would be to design a system including a sub right from the start. The full range driver is only required to play from say 200 Hz up. No bass from the full range driver. Why build a back loaded horn? If you build a OB then a crossover is needed for the sub and for the full range driver on the open baffle. The full range driver will need a Zobel and a crossover which places passive circuit elements in the signal path. If you build a sealed box for the full range driver, you have an acoustic 12 dB/octave crossover that can be tuned by the box volume. A ported box produces a 24 dB/octave roll-off. The closed box does have an advantage of controlling dirver deflection so Xmax is less of a concern. Then all you need is some form of crossover for the sub. Either of these approaches is an easier build compared to a back loaded horn. The full range driver never sees bass frequencies so destroying the driver is probably not as big of a concern. If a full range driver in a sealed box is paired with a high efficiency woofer to produce a system that is 95 to 100 dB efficient, for 1w/1m, from 30 - 40 Hz up I believe it would play plenty loud and not risk distortion or driver damage. A 15 or 18 inch woofer will move a lot of air. Room placement is no longer a requirement to get bass. This system might be very compact.

So I am not trying to compare a full range driver in a back loaded horn to one in a sealed box. I am comparing a back loaded horn and sub system to a full range driver in a sealed box and sub system and wondering why the simple build would not be as effective as the complex build. What extra does the back loaded horn add to this type of system?

Martin

Re: a good question [message #21152 is a reply to message #21151] Fri, 05 August 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
What extra does the back loaded horn add to this type of system?

Dynamics and speed.Efficency is there also. Sure a horn will not hit the 30s, but if it can hit the 50s there is just so much more there than a vented cab ( we are talking low Qts drivers here). I have started a new project in running some sims in a loaded low Qts driver in a MLTL. IMO and from what i have seen in the sims is that by loading a driver in the form of a filter chamber/throat and installing it into a MLTL is that greater SPL can be produced without breakup and still hit the low frequencies and at the same time provide for a cut off at a point (still working on this) so that the upper harmonics of the TL action have less effect so stuffing can (possibly) be eliminated.
It still probably wont have the dynamics of a horn though. Although with a Flare at the end it appears to lessen ripple and may provide for more apparent dynamics. Dynamics is something i cant sim at the moment.
ron

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21153 is a reply to message #21147] Fri, 05 August 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I agree Martin.
That's one reason I don't get horns built.
If you are using the driver at 90-100 HZ and up, and have a steep crossover like 24 db, then there seems to be no point to making the horn.
I have also found that using "full range drivers" at 80-90 Hz up takes away none of that single driver magic, in terms of imaging, as opposed to flogging that poor beast down to the nether regions of bass. This is based on my experiments, mainly with the stephens trusonic 80FR driver.
-akhilesh

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21154 is a reply to message #21148] Fri, 05 August 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Too True, Dave.

Re: SOme comments on this thread [message #21155 is a reply to message #21145] Fri, 05 August 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Lots, John.
And fellow music system maniacs and Altec owners are especially welcome!
-akhilesh

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21156 is a reply to message #21147] Fri, 05 August 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Retsel is currently offline  Retsel
Chancellor
Ed has provided many of the same reasons I would give. First, lets start with the Hedlund Horns. Just listening to them makes the reasons obvious. I had a couple audiophiles over about a month and a half ago and their jaw was on the ground after listening to my system, and my subwoofer was in disrepair so all they heard was the Hedlund Horns. To me, the lack of deep bass makes the system lacking, but 70 hz and up, the sound is simply glorious. Besides the world class SACD player, preamp and amps, the Hedlund Horns with DX4s are wonderful.

It is useful to compare how the Lowthers mate with the Hedlund Horns compared to open baffles. I will refer you to a post which Paul Joppa made on the Magnequest forum because he knows a lot more about the theory why BLH work so well:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/magnequest/messages/2737.html

And Paul is right, with the Lowthers in Hedlund Horns, the response is flat. Thus there is no need to add crossover components. The added energy and efficiency of the backhorn down to below 100 hz allows for using subwoofers for what they are designed for, reproducing the lowest frequencies.

Now I am experimenting with open baffles. I need to work on my baffles more, but there are differences which I can comment on. The open baffles are more transparent and for sounds above the horn region of the Hedlund Horn (which is around 250 hz), the open baffle seems to be better. I might give the nod to the Hedlund Horn below this frequency, but it is too soon in my experimentation to say all this with conviction (I still need to finish my experimentation with the open baffle first and then put the Hedlund Horns back in place before I can decide for sure). The open baffle system needs an inductor to roll off the higher frequencies starting at about 500 hz. I am only using a single inductor instead of the much more complex crossover which Dick Olsher has in his plans for the Basszilla project. I am highpassing the Lowthers in the open baffle about 100 hz, and still the cone moves a lot. But I hope that I can live with this as I have a pair of 15 inch drivers and also a set of Avalanche 18 inch drivers which I hope, together, will allow me to get sufficient bass from 20 hz or below up to 100 hz as dipole woofers. I am a little worried that the Avalanche drivers will be too "slow" crossing them over at 100 hz. If so, I can always revert back to the Hedlund Horns which can go deeper.

Considering that open baffles are fairly easy to implement, and I already have the Hedlund Horns, I would not even consider trying a simple box. I would do the open baffle before trying a box. I have a set of Fried C5s, which are VERY high quality transmission line mini monitors. I thought about trying the Lowthers in those boxes, but I believe that they would not be a good match for transmission lines.

Retsel

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21157 is a reply to message #21148] Fri, 05 August 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Retsel is currently offline  Retsel
Chancellor
After I put the supertweeter in place I am still not convinced yet that it is a worthwhile investment (I should disconnect it to see). It does add a little air, but I might have taken that money and invested in a little better set of caps for my SE amps and ended up ahead of where I am today. It is a marginal investment because the DX4s get up pretty high on their own.

With tipped up response of the Lowther DX4s on open baffles I need to use some sort of means to flatten out the frequency response. With the the super tweeters there I need to put a series inductor in place. It would be interesting to do away with the inductors and go back to trying a shunt capacitor instead of the inductor thus placing no passive components in the signal path of the Lowther (which of course would make the super tweeters useless, unless if I provided them their own amps.....).

Retsel

Re: a good question [message #21158 is a reply to message #21149] Fri, 05 August 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ed wrote:
"That is a good question.......why WOULD someone go to all that trouble when a simple OB or sealed enclosure would be so much easier to build? There MUST be a reason! And I doubt it's marketing on the part of the builders........my guess and it's only a guess.......
Efficiency, dynamics.....and to achieve a balanced response down to cut off with out sacrificing efficiency might be a couple reasons."

Ed, my guess (and I have MUCh less experience than you do) is that BLH horns are built if someone is not using a subwoofer. If one is using a sub and crossing the "full range" driver at 90 Hz or so, then I have not seen anyone use a horn.
Now, with a real low Q driver that is not really meant to produce a lot of bass, like a 3-4 inch fostex, one may need a horn to get down to even 80 -90 Hz, in which case it is totally justified. But if one is using an 8 inch full ranger, that can achieve 90 Hz in a simple BR all day long, the reason for a horn may become less obvious.

What do you think?
-akhilesh

Thank You, Ron [message #21159 is a reply to message #21150] Fri, 05 August 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
This is a tough subject. It seems we are (to quote some "Rock Star") in "agreeance". I'll try to add more later but I just got back and have "chores". More on my position later regarding single drivers and the compromises and advantages that are not obvious but easy to hear and difficult to measure. And a detailed but rambling (I'm sure) reply to Martins post. And it won't be a "cat fight"! That won't happen regardless of my "reputation" for "stirring the pot"! We probably agree more than disagree when it really gets to the bottom line. We are all in this together.....and I guess the goal is to fire the stereo up and have it make us smile. Regardless of the means used to achieve the goal.
Ed

Re: Thank You, Ron [message #21160 is a reply to message #21159] Fri, 05 August 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
Well Ed us ole southern boys gotta hang together. But it always comes down to physics ,regardless. Its dang hard to put a number on dynamics, i know i have tried, but all i can come up with is the "speed" of a BLH being faster due to the wave expansion time being slightly less than the 1/4 wave action. Who knows? Trying to figure out all this has become a definate time consumer.
BTW and OT i usta live in Ashboro NC , hadda ex there (forgot which one) and love the area. And aint into guns , but can sink an arrow into a 3" target hole all day long at 50' ( windless or inna building), silent and deadly.
Ever make it up there ( i always need a reason to ride my scooter) i will look you up.
ron

Previous Topic: interesting auction item
Next Topic: Driver Size Thoughts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:34:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers