Home » Audio » Speaker » Why won't a single driver speaker do metal?
Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21141 is a reply to message #21139] Thu, 04 August 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I haven't heard the hedlunds, but i'd agree with you. I'd do the same if I had the speakers.
How are the highs on the lowthers, BTW?
thanks
-akhilesh

SOme comments on this thread [message #21142 is a reply to message #21124] Thu, 04 August 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
It's a good thread, guys. I believe all of us learn when two knowledgeable people like Martin & Ed exhange their opinions and views and argue on a public forum. Clearly they have different views on some things (though I am not sure their views are ALL that different). Ed approaches design from a bottom up fashion (build, test, build, test), while MArtin is top-down (design, test, design, test). At least that's my opinion. Both guys are very experienced and knowledgeable, and I think agree on the basics of driver behavior.

While there was borderline hostility, I am glad we are over that. The knowledge you both have is MUCH too valuable to distort with name calling, or as Wayne says: my speaker sounds better than your speaker.

It would be great if both of you could ship your speakers here (and yourselves as well of course, if possible!) at the next GPAF, so we can have a nice listen and post reviews on the speakers that are a product of your methodologies. That would be fun and would probably benefit you both as well in the evolution of your speakers.

Tulsa is centrally located. Shippiing speakers is not that expensive.
I'm sure we can find a comparo room for you guys at the next GPAF, if all you do is ship the speakers.
What say you?
-akhilesh

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21143 is a reply to message #21141] Thu, 04 August 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Retsel is currently offline  Retsel
Chancellor
The highs from the DX4s are very good. I would still prefer a great ribbon tweeter though (i.e., like that from Maggies).

For the open baffle system I am basing my system off of the Basszilla design by Dick Olsher which has a small ribbon supertweeter (Aurum Cantus) to augment the highs from the DX4s. It provides some air (reproduces frequencies above 10 k hz) but is not a requirement for great sound (in my opinion).

Retsel

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21144 is a reply to message #21143] Thu, 04 August 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I felt the same way when I heard Bob BRines lt2000 (great sounding speakers if used as wide rangers BTW). I thought they benefited from a super tweeter crossed up real high.
-akhilesh

Re: SOme comments on this thread [message #21145 is a reply to message #21142] Thu, 04 August 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
AK; you're such a reasonable guy. Are there any houses for sale in your neighborhood?

Re: SOme comments on this thread [message #21146 is a reply to message #21142] Thu, 04 August 2005 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Akhilesh,

Very good summary. But I will add one slight modification/expansion, you wrote :

"Martin is top-down (design, test, design, test)."

My actual process is as follows :

1. Break in and test driver T/S parameters.
2. Design system using MathCad worksheets.
3. Build system.
4. Test acoustic and electrical response of system.
5. Design and install compensation circuit based on measurements.
6. Drag "finished" system out of basement and up to second floor listening room.
7. Final minor tweaks by ear.

Since I wrote the MathCad worksheets, I have never scrapped a box and started over. The building part is my biggest challenge. The basic box response is mathematically predictable. My goal is to merge step 5 into step 2.

Martin

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21147 is a reply to message #21139] Thu, 04 August 2005 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
One thing I have never understood.

Hedlund horns are a truely amazing project. I would never even consider building a pair, they are well beyond my own limited cabinet making skills. Back loaded horns in general are a very complex build compared to even TL's.

But if one were using a sub from say 100 Hz down, why would one build a Hedlund horn to be used only in the mid bass and up? Why wouldn't an open baffle or small sealed enclosure be preferable? From my perspective, the advantage of building a back loaded horn is the potential for very efficient bass output making a sub not necessary. What advantage does a Hedlund horn, or some other back loaded horn, combined with a sub produce that makes the combination better then the simple open baffle or small closed box solutions?

Martin

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21148 is a reply to message #21144] Thu, 04 August 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's funny, but a lot of fullrange single dirvers benefit from a super tweeter (especially drivers from 8 inches and up.)It really is hard to have one driver truly "do it all".

Dave

a good question [message #21149 is a reply to message #21147] Fri, 05 August 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Martin,
That is a good question.......why WOULD someone go to all that trouble when a simple OB or sealed enclosure would be so much easier to build? There MUST be a reason! And I doubt it's marketing on the part of the builders........my guess and it's only a guess.......
Efficiency, dynamics.....and to achieve a balanced response down to cut off with out sacrificing efficiency might be a couple reasons. Again.....just my whacked opinion to a good question.

I have been asked that same question many times, and I like to ask it of people....after all why go to so much trouble? Well, after hearing the alternatives, all of them.......in the case of SINGLE DRIVERS...the BLH wins every time (IN MY OPINION), they simply sound better than a sealed when using a SINGLE DRIVER with a low

Re: a good question [message #21150 is a reply to message #21149] Fri, 05 August 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
You hit the nail on the head Ed ole buddy.
ron

Previous Topic: interesting auction item
Next Topic: Driver Size Thoughts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:31:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers