Home » Audio » Speaker » Why won't a single driver speaker do metal?
Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21109 is a reply to message #21106] Thu, 28 July 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Thank you Wayne, I'd sure like to. We'll see. But in the mean time, my offer stands, any one may visit pretty much anytime for a listen.
Ed

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21111 is a reply to message #21086] Thu, 28 July 2005 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regal is currently offline  Regal
Esquire
Ihave a pair of fostex 127's in the BR enclosure. The bass and midbass suck. But to me metal is all about the electric guitar and these single driver speakers reproduce the guitar better than anything I have ever heard.

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21112 is a reply to message #21109] Thu, 28 July 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
As a Tulsa resident myself, I would like to reiterate Wayne's invtation, Ed. You will have a lot of fun!
BTW, which town ar eyou based in?
-akhilesh

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21113 is a reply to message #21105] Fri, 29 July 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
Ed, What speakers are you using ?

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21114 is a reply to message #21113] Fri, 29 July 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Ed is referring to the speakers he sells:

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21115 is a reply to message #21086] Fri, 29 July 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Bob,

I associate metal with uniformly loud (translate very limited dynamic range) and usually highly distorted "music", none of which is left untouched by various electronics. So I don't connect your thread title with the two questions you pose. IMO the only realistic yardstick to evaluate audio equipment is live, unamplified music. As concert like playback of metal would seem to be the gold standard and arena/stadiums with PA speakers playing at painful spls offer horrible sound, I'm at a loss to explain why anyone would think there is a meaningful relationship between audiophile speakers and metal.

Without multiple drivers single driver speakers have a coherency and direct amp connection that provide can greater resolution. Moving from simple to complex musical forms may just be revealing how limited the human brain is to processing all the information being received. I've notice this phenom during live symphonic, orchestral, and choral performances. I just can't separate 30 violins or 100 vocalists. Perhaps the performance level of single drivers reveal this human limitation.

The ultimate sound pressure level (spl) concern is simply due to the limit of materials available and the laws of physics. You just can't have a tiny driver with a huge volumetric displacement which would be ideal. And ideally any driver would have zero cone mass, perfectly rigid cones, extremely high magnetic field strength, and extreme efficiency. All that said, I believe that the single driver concept can be the right one for most residental applications.

I agree with you that playback spls should average no more than 85 dBs and that lots of amplifier headroom should be available to insure playback of the full dynamic range on the recording. Your example of 20 dB of headroom is not out of line IMO. Like Ed mentions below don't know if you've tried a good, big, high Q amp with your speakers, but many of these limitations go away (try a NuForce amp). I fully believe in the importance of good drivers/speakers in the playback chain but I heard $4000 worth of pre/power amps make $5 speakers sound incredibly "decent" (not good, but completely transformed). Imagine what the proper amp could do.

If your background noise level is 65 dB you need badly to get a better listening environment. A quick check of spls around the house with my cheapy Radio Shack meter found that I had to be within a foot of the TV to reach 60 dB while my wife was watching 12 feet away and I can hear all the dialogue 30 feet and two 90 degree turns away in the next room. The last time I was at a symphony spls never reached 80 dB from the 4th row. IMO realistic goals for playback are 80 dB average and 105 dB peaks with a background around 20 dB. Continued exposure to more than 85 dB will result in permanent hearing loss and could also produce a lifetime of permanent pain.

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21116 is a reply to message #21109] Fri, 29 July 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If you do come to the GPAF bring a couple of pairs of model 2 grills. Wayne's Pi speakers are kinda plain looking, and we could divide the grills and stretch them (quite a bit) so one grill would cover both drivers in the 2 Pi Tower speakers.

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/optionalgrills.html

You obviously haven't heard a pair of Carolina Audio speakers. [message #21117 is a reply to message #21086] Sat, 30 July 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTF is currently offline  GTF
Chancellor
Pink Floyd, ELP, Zepplin, Moody Blues, Kalma, never
sounded better. No,,, not ballpark volume level's, but LOUD enough.
And articulate deep bass from a pair of transmission line
Jordan subs. Stunning.
Too bad Jordan stopped making the 7" driver.

GTF

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21118 is a reply to message #21086] Sat, 30 July 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bacobits is currently offline  bacobits
Esquire
Well, I have the 1600II's and they can kick some ass more so than the Fe108e. No complaints here. BUT, I do use a HSU VTF3/2.

DN

Re: Why won't a single driver speaker do metal? [message #21119 is a reply to message #21088] Sat, 30 July 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
roncla is currently offline  roncla
Master
2. The solution I use is a lot simpler: Use a sub for the lower frequencies. THis takes care of the SPL issue.

So very true! If the FR is in a sealed (very small volume) and allowed to run FR with the sub being rolled off at 200-300 hz (i perfer sealed again for the woofer) and both are bi amped then you have a very effective system thats a simple build.
Although i am a horn nut , this method is very simple ( to me anyway) as i use gainclones and can wip one up in around one hr.( case not included). Or just put a cap on the front end of one of those little Sonic T amps for the roll off of the woofer and use another for the FR.
There ya have it a cheap/simple effective system that probably would cost < 500$ with a quality FR driver and woofer.

ron

Previous Topic: interesting auction item
Next Topic: Driver Size Thoughts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:25:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers