Home » Audio » Speaker » Horns and Room Size
Very cool! [message #17168 is a reply to message #17148] Sun, 07 November 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi,very fun stuff!

Hopefully soon i can get my horn made for my jbl 15" 2226 !
Only 35hz but smaller at ~500litre. Designed for wall/corner usage. I actualy have enough SPL right now,with its bass reflex box,but i want a horn for sure,after hearing my 8" on horn!

Regards
Mike.e

reflex vs. horn [message #17172 is a reply to message #17168] Sun, 07 November 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pgolde is currently offline  pgolde
Chancellor
Hi Mike,
Cool website. The Jbl is a very kick ass speaker in a reflex, put it in a properly designed horn and I think you will take it to a new level. I found the Lab has a very different sound than the EVX 18's, lower extension, cleaner, louder, more HIFI. The EV's need no eq and sounded great, awsome rock and roll speaker, very musical. The single lab I am running does require eq to sound good, since I dont have 3 others built, or a corner to put it in. I could run the 18's to 800 Hz with no problems, but the Lab is crossed at 80Hz and allows me to get much higher, cleaner spl from the 15's I am using for midbass. I dont think the Lab is too much for them though, need to get some measurements at high levels. I am currently building test mics with the Panasonic mic capsules WM-61.
The problem with the horn is with such clean output at high levels, the room comes alive and has an even greater effect than with the 18's, besides the fact that it is more notcible with the cleaner output from the horn.
Have fun, looking foward to your comments on your horn when finished.
PG

Sure thing [message #17175 is a reply to message #17172] Sun, 07 November 2004 16:56 Go to previous message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Il update the HI EFF forum when its complete.(i cheat,and get the joiner to cut my mdf perfectly so i dont stuff it up with a jigsaw )

Ive actualy feel quite comfortable with the quality,and SPL from my jbl and 240w plate amp,but i know theres more to be had!

Id love to do some measurements too! ECM8000s apparently have everything all inside them,pre amp etc,plug and play.

Regards
Mike.e

Previous Topic: Scan Speaks
Next Topic: Need Dynaudio Gemini speaker plans and suggestion?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:51:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio