Home » Audio » Speaker » Horns and Room Size
Re: I don't use M values in my sub horns, [message #17113 is a reply to message #17110] Fri, 22 October 2004 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I honestly cant see how effective the bdeap is just by looking at it.Its very boundary dependant.Using the room as the flare doesnt really work due to the large discontinuity between final box flare and room expansion of conical shape.

Using Direct radiator 15"s for 70hz and up is an effective use.
a Hornsubwith a 15" IS a good use of space-but horns are always large.A smaller woofer wont be able to move as much air ;-)

I too like the idea of using cheaper drivers on a longer horn-But by the time you count up the cost of wood + cutting costs its almost the same-and why not use a good linear driver than a cheap one for peace of mind.

If a 10" or 12" will cure your 40hz Hornsub issue then thats really good- i used an 8" for 50hz on 155litres for awhile!

Cheers!
Mike.e

Re: I don't use M values in my sub horns, [message #17114 is a reply to message #17113] Fri, 22 October 2004 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pgolde is currently offline  pgolde
Chancellor
At the subwoofer shootout in NY I witnessed in person what 4 bdeaps did in a large room. Nobody in the room dared walk close to them while running full volume from a PL9 for fear of damaging internal organs. As I walked around the room, it was amazing to hear how even the levels were thruought the room, none of the competeing subs came close, including Bassmax.

3/4 cams and basshorns [message #17115 is a reply to message #17114] Sat, 23 October 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm sorry to be a curmudgeon, but the "hornsub shootout" thing always rings hollow to me. There are many reasons, but the biggest one is that cabinets of this size depend on direct radiation of the woofer at the lowest frequencies. That sort of takes the "best horn wins" argument out of the equation, since none of them are operating as horns down low anyway. Above 40Hz, we're cooking. But below 40Hz, we're comparing woofers in a large box. By 20Hz, a basshorn that's "small" enough to be portable is horn in name only.

The other side of the coin is that room gain lifts the lowest frequencies quite a bit. But that's really the point. At the deepest frequencies, the horn begins to act more like the front chamber of a BP box. So that and the woofer, rear chamber and room are what's most important to response. And of course the EQ used to bump up the bass where horn response falls off.

I've seen guys boasting about basshorn performance at frequencies that the flare couldn't possibly support. Models show it shouldn't and measurements show it doesn't. Put it in a room, and boundary conditions help but you still don't have horn gain under horn cutoff, and some response claims fly in the face of that. Down very low, what you really have is room gain from direct radiators in a fancy box.

I love horns, and they've been all I've used for 25 years. I love basshorns too. But when I hear claims of 20Hz - and sometimes claims of output under 10Hz - from a 30Hz horn with an 1/8th size mouth, well, I would hope that people would do a better job of interpreting what's really going on. It all reminds me of guys talking about doing 7 second quarter mile times in their Chevy with a "3/4 cam."

I can appreciate people here making basshorns that are most efficient above 40Hz or 60Hz. Most program material is above 40Hz anyway, and so having improved efficiency from horn gain above 40Hz or 60Hz is a worthy goal. But I've seen bait-and-switch, fancy marketing names given to well-known properties, and product development put on hold to eek the last bit of profits from a cheap woofer used in a popular design. A superior product is on the backburner because the inferior one is still selling to people that love SPL hype more than they love good sound. The public is told it's the state of the art, and they aren't to be made aware of the improved device until the cow's been milked dry. So I guess I've become cynical about that sort of thing.

All I really wanted to say is that hyped performance of portable basshorns in the octave under 30Hz is really just locker room talk, in my opinion. It's fun for the boys to hang out and talk about those 3/4 cams I suppose, and that's cool, it's fun. But there's always something bigger and better, and I'm not sure I ever enjoyed watching brand rivalries when it's all basically the same stuff.

Re: 3/4 cams and basshorns [message #17116 is a reply to message #17115] Sat, 23 October 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
No need to apologize, I am here to learn. I attended the shootout out of curiosity, and I was in the area. Paul Bell was objective and helpful. He was about deciding the best box for your application. I forgot to mention in my last post that of course it was just my humble opinion. Well, back to work on the horns!
Cheers

Re: 3/4 cams and basshorns [message #17117 is a reply to message #17116] Sat, 23 October 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I also hope that my post wasn't too over over-the-top. This has been a passion of mine for a long time, and I've seen and heard a lot of stuff. There's always room for improvement, but we also have the same laws of physics and the same sets of limits. And really, a lot of these guys are using the same OEM components, so that's something to consider too. Differences between good implementations are slight, certainly not orders of magnitude unless conditions are unequal or something is wrong.

Re: 3/4 cams and basshorns [message #17118 is a reply to message #17117] Sun, 24 October 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In order to know what sounds real good-we have to have a rule of good sound to listen to.

Thesedays there still doesnt seem to be a good speaker system of which you can compare the latest products to-perhaps monitors would do this job-being the rule to compare against.

If people were loving the sound of 2 12"s on a seemingly 30hz cutoff horn playing down to the subsonics- reliant on pyschoacoustics and sealed box operation.....

Im glad i have my 2226 to compare things too :-)

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! [message #17119 is a reply to message #17118] Sun, 24 October 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Just for fun, I'll re-tell an old story.

P.T. Barnum introduces something at a show claiming it's the biggest, fastest, loudest, and whatever. He has his shills do the introduction and a few in the crowd to cheer it on. So you might want to peer behind the curtain when the show is over to find out the real story.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Our good Mr. Barnum volunteers to promote this thing, just for the thrill. The effort is to be a donation to the public good. But then after the thing catches on, minor changes are made and the "new and improved" model is immediately offered for sale. Was the promotion really for the greater good? Or was it bait and switch?

Now for the best part, Barnum's gadget is based on a relatively cheap main component. It's great as a bang for the buck thing, and it's pretty good and all. But it is certainly not state of the art, and is actually quite common. The really cunning move is to give the impression that it is a top-notch statement product, and that its performance is better than anything else. "Nothing else even comes close."

After cultivating this kind of reputation, why bother to make something that truly rises to the level of performance of a statement product? Better to use a catchy technical sounding name and call it a breakthrough. Why bother to introduce an overhead valve version when Mr. Barnum can convince everyone that his flathead version with the flashy name is great? Secretly, he does everything he can to stop others from introducing overhead valve engines. That might cut into sales, no good in that.

All the while, Mr. Barnum looks for a way to take credit for overhead valve technology so that when it hits the market, he can say he was responsible for that too.

This is nothing new and shouldn't be shocking to anyone. It is a common story. It is the story of Tesla and Edison. It is the story of Marconi. So it shouldn't be surprising to find it in other businesses too.

Be sure to look behind the curtain...

Pics [message #17120 is a reply to message #17102] Sun, 24 October 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The LABhorn is certainly a capable bass subsystem for clubs and the LAB12 woofer offers good value for the money too. Fitzmaurice's horns look very nice too. I'd sure like to see your horns, so post pics, can you?

Thank you all for your comments [message #17121 is a reply to message #17091] Sun, 24 October 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gerald59 is currently offline  Gerald59
Esquire
A most enlightening discussion.

Re: 3/4 cams and basshorns [message #17122 is a reply to message #17120] Sun, 24 October 2004 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
I purchased a throw away camera for taking some pics of the work, since my digital camera broke. I will post as soon as I get them developed hopefully later this week.

Previous Topic: Scan Speaks
Next Topic: Need Dynaudio Gemini speaker plans and suggestion?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:23:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio