Home » Audio » Speaker » Question on mid-horns
Re: Question on mid-horns [message #15863 is a reply to message #15860] Tue, 16 December 2003 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks, Henry. I am suspecting that my CD player may need upgrading. I have a Philips CD-921 which may be showing it's age more now that I have a more revealing speaker. I may try stealing the DVD player from the TV and try it and see if the problem remains.

Dave

Right idea [message #15865 is a reply to message #15863] Tue, 16 December 2003 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
good luck

Re: Question on mid-horns [message #15917 is a reply to message #15850] Sat, 20 December 2003 00:41 Go to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Got it! I took the drivers of the mid horns today. I had one apart a couple of days ago, but had to disassemble while the horn was still in the box because the threads were frozen, so it wasn't a complete disassembly. I managed to get them both off today (thought I'd have a hernia there for a while). Anyway, there was some black crystals, like ground chacoal, behind the dust screen. I blew out the magnet gap and all around the diaphram and phase plug. Noise is now gone! Must have been the old foreign material in the voice coil/diaphram problem! I put the mid-horn hook-up's back on the high setting on the autoformer, as I think it sounds better there.
Another thing. Remember, the T-35's on the older Heresy's were mounted on the back of the baffle board. Last month, I managed to front mount them. This raised the efficiency of them compared to the rear mounting. So, today I replaced the 2 uF caps with 1.5 uF GE poly caps. These are caps about twice as big physically then the origionals. This raised the crossover a bit and helped make a more balanced output while not lowering the highest treble levels. Everthing sounds much better now. These speakers really rock now!

Dave :^)

Previous Topic: Wayne, please shoot me email
Next Topic: Here's an odd little puppy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:39:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers