Home » Audio » Speaker » Klipschorns anyone?
Re: Sorry about my other non reply, so ... [message #15838 is a reply to message #15835] Sat, 13 December 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Another hidden cost to the addiction of listening! But if ya put crap in ya gonna get crap out----I have been getting some classical stuff form our local Library (in an effort to hear a lot more music in general) and some of the recordings were made from live performances which is probalbly ther method like when Maria Callas was performing --some are ok but this one tape had someone in the audience who should have stayed home with a cough that bad!

Re: here is a pair / probably won't see this again [message #15839 is a reply to message #15834] Sat, 13 December 2003 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hey,
where is Sophia Electronics?
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Klipschorns anyone? [message #15840 is a reply to message #15837] Sun, 14 December 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Pillow stuffing should work fine for stuffing. Just nicely fill the box, don't pack it in.

Dave

Heresy modifications [message #15842 is a reply to message #15824] Mon, 15 December 2003 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
How are you coming along with your Heresy modifications? You were attenuating your midrange section, right? You were planning to change the transformer tap and put a shunt resistor across the midrange driver to maintain the proper load impedance. Is that what you said you were planning to do? Is that all you were planning to do?

My HT setup [message #15843 is a reply to message #15833] Mon, 15 December 2003 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
Well - I thought I might give you a few shots of my Heresy based HT setup. The last picture is an example of a unique location for Heresy. Just paste the following in your Browser address bar:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~hwatkins/id63.htm

As an added bonus, here is my finished 2 Pi speakers:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~hwatkins/id62.htm

Re: here is a pair / probably won't see this again [message #15846 is a reply to message #15839] Mon, 15 December 2003 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
http://www.sophiaelectric.com/

Sorry I left off the URL; I just read your post.

Hope they still have them. If I had the money I would have picked then up. Good luck!

Re: Heresy modifications [message #15848 is a reply to message #15842] Mon, 15 December 2003 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
Were you asking what I had done, or if Jim had done them?

On mine, I put 16 Ohm resistors on the squawker, changed autoformer to lower efficiency a bit in the mids, added dowel to box to stiffen, put plumbers putty on outside of the horn and woofer basket, added stuffing to inside of box and built the P-trap for the squawker.
I think that covers everything I've done to the old 1975 Heresy's. They sound MUCH better then when I found them.

Dave :^)

Re: My HT setup [message #15849 is a reply to message #15843] Mon, 15 December 2003 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Nice pics, and interesting way of using Heresy's.
I'm curious, how would you describe the difference in sound between the Heresy's and the 2-Pi's? I listened to a pair of 2-Pi's a year or so back and was impressed, but I never had a chance to hear them and Heresy's together, and I bought the Heresy's several months later and my sonic memory is weak.

Dave

Re: Heresy modifications [message #15851 is a reply to message #15848] Mon, 15 December 2003 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Dave!

I think Jim is following in your footsteps. I understand he is putting a 16 ohm resistor across the midrange and changing the transformer tap too. I'm pretty sure he learned this from you, here on the forum. He told me that he's bracing the boxes like you've described too.

I expect Jim will let us know when he has had some time to install the parts and evaluate the changes.

Wayne

One person's comparison... [message #15859 is a reply to message #15849] Tue, 16 December 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
between the Heresy and 2 Pi.

It is very much what I expected:

2 Pi - disregarding labor, materials for the 2Pi was less than $275 total. For that price I could not imagine a better new speaker. It is very efficient and a surprising two way. The Eminence speaker was an instant success to my ear. I still have some difficulty with the tweeter in a comparison with the Heresy, but when not comparing the two it is a reasonable solution. As a speaker I intend to give to my daughter that was more of a 'carpentry practice', I was more than pleasantly surprised and may well keep (move to my office) until I think her ear deserves it (grin).

Heresy - I still have an affinity for the two horns on this speaker and most everything above 700- 800hz is a joy (at my age - not having much above 16Khz seems to be of little relevance). As expected the stuff below 700hz is not my favorite part of this speaker.

For overall performance, I will be staying with the Heresy. However, there BR portion of Wayne's design is a very pleasant surprise and is why I will be making something akin to a Pi aligned three way with horns for the higher freqs and BR for the lower freqs.

Also - even if comparing with the used market, the 2 Pi can be significantly cheaper than Heresy II and an interestingly equitable performer, especially in the Low freqs.

Henry

Previous Topic: anyone try matching a 40"ribbon tweeter and a 15" woofer
Next Topic: large or small?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 07:08:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers