Home » Audio » Speaker » Image perception
Re: Image perception [message #15035 is a reply to message #14977] Mon, 20 June 2005 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rnhood is currently offline  rnhood
Chancellor
I generally prefer the more limited directivity since it minimizes image wander and better defines a consistent stage. This image wander is for the most part due to the complex nature of reflections and their resulting audible effects.

However, in a home theater set-up the more omni type speakers tend to hold a better central image for those sitting off center and, add a bit of artificial life into the mix that is often perceived as adding excitment. The center channel will usually ensure the central image for off center seating but, the onmi mains help in this regard.

Re: Image perception [message #15036 is a reply to message #15035] Mon, 20 June 2005 20:16 Go to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
I find the exact opposite of you to be true in my Home Theaters. The higher directivity sources make the system image more stable, even the center channel, and with less wall reflections the sound is less colored. Most who experince my theaters are impressed by how well the image quality holds off center. I see no reason why an omni system would ever image well off axis.

I only use omni speakers for the surround channels where image and coloration are of a far less important nature.

Previous Topic: power tapering and l-pads
Next Topic: epiphany model 6-6 /12-12
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 29 11:57:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout