Home » Audio » Source » Solinoid part availability for "PLAY" for SS700 Crown Reel Player
Solinoid part availability for "PLAY" for SS700 Crown Reel Player [message #13853] Sat, 11 February 2006 18:01 Go to next message
Terry P. is currently offline  Terry P.
Esquire
Is there ANYONE out there who can reccomend a parts source for my 1960's vintage CROWN SS700 STEREO 3&3/4and 7&1/2 IPS ( 7 / 10 " reels ] Stereo Tape Recorder? I am desparately seeking a solinoid for the "PLAY" Button. No local stereo shop can locate the part; though they recognize the quality of the machine, and marvel that it still works as well as it does. I've owned it since the mid/late sixties, and have shipped it to the Elkhart, Indiana headquarters for full refurbishment when they were still in operation. NOW I'M STUCK, AND WANT TO PLAY MY TAPES!!

PLEASE, ANY PARTS OR SERVICE RECCOMENDATIONS, ANYONE?

Thanks;

Terry P.

Re: Solinoid part availability for "PLAY" for SS700 Crown Reel Player [message #13854 is a reply to message #13853] Sun, 12 February 2006 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If all else fails, I wonder if you could rebuild the solenoid. Is the coil open? Or does it have a mechanical problem of some sort?

Solinoid part availability for "PLAY" for SS700 Crown Reel Player [message #13855 is a reply to message #13854] Mon, 13 February 2006 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thank you for your suggestion. All I am knowledgeable of is that the tech who last tried to repair the unit said it needed a new solenoid. No mention was made of a rebuild, and I don't know what I'm looking at or for, to check the coil. Obviously, nothing happens (no click) when the play button is pressed. All other buttons give an audible click as they engage.

Re: Solinoid part availability for "PLAY" for SS700 Crown Reel Player [message #13856 is a reply to message #13855] Mon, 13 February 2006 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I see. Well, if you can't find the replacement part, you might consider having it remanufactured. Solenoids aren't very complex, and it might be possible to rewind the coil if that's what is wrong.

Solinoid part availability for "PLAY" for SS700 Crown Reel Player [message #13857 is a reply to message #13856] Mon, 13 February 2006 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Well, thanks very much. I'll go to the oldest stereo service place here in Asheville, N.C., and see if there is anyone there old enough to remember quality repair, and pride of workmanship. I'm not going to sell it, or trash it. I've had it since college, and refuse to let it die before I do!
Thanks, Wayne!

Re: Solinoid part availability for "PLAY" for SS700 Crown Reel Player [message #13859 is a reply to message #13853] Tue, 28 March 2006 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayner is currently offline  Wayner
Esquire
John Haines of Jemah Service in Goshen, Indiana is the man for Crown R2R deck parts. 574-534-9122

Re: Solinoid part availability for "PLAY" for SS700 Crown Reel Player [message #13951 is a reply to message #13853] Tue, 19 June 2007 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimtiki is currently offline  jimtiki
Esquire
I have 2 working 700 series transports. I think that the solenoid in question maybe used in other commercial devices. As one person said they are pretty simple. If this post goes through I will look at one of my machines and see if I have a similiar solenoid.

Re: Solinoid part availability for "PLAY" for SS700 Crown Reel Player [message #13952 is a reply to message #13951] Wed, 20 June 2007 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
That sounds promising, and I would like to pursue replacing the solinoid in my SS700. If you find that you do have one that is compatible, please let me know with price and/or other source availability.
Thanks,
Terry P.

Re: Solinoid part availability for "PLAY" for SS700 Crown Reel Player [message #13953 is a reply to message #13952] Wed, 20 June 2007 14:56 Go to previous message
jimtiki is currently offline  jimtiki
Esquire
I wanted to be sure you were still interested in correcting the problem I will start looking and ask a few people around here. By the way what is an SS700? I know SX, SP and CX but do not recall SS. As another note the people writing about things like SX727 and such. The last 2 numbers were channels and tracks on the tape. This means things like 724 and 844 are more likely numbers.

Previous Topic: Turntables
Next Topic: Harman Kardon T40 replacement tone arm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 12:03:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout