Home » Audio » Movies & Music » About My Father
About My Father [message #96807] Sun, 25 June 2023 16:45 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Has anyone else seen this show? It wasn't amazing, but it was a good movie for a quick laugh and some lighthearted entertainment. The story had some touching moments as well. I teared up a time or two. It was better than I expected.

I thought Robert Di Nero shined in this one, but I tend to like his acting anyway. He always makes a good overbearing father, who is gruff but also loveable. Kim Cattrall also did well in her role, but she was almost unrecognizable. Is it too much plastic surgery? I know that the stereotypical trope is that everyone judges the guy's talent and the gal's looks, and I don't mean to do play into that, but it really struck me.

If you're into comedies, and you haven't seen it already, then give it a look. You won't be disappointed. If you've seen the film, I'd love to know what you thought about it.
Re: About My Father [message #96808 is a reply to message #96807] Sun, 25 June 2023 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I looked up now De Niro's done over 137 movies. He's stretched his acting in all kind of ways other than his tough crime figure characters. And comedy's one. The first I remember was The King of Comedy where he played a stand up comedian wannabe, Rupert Pupkin. Then the Meet the Fockers series. I've seen some ad's for this one but haven't seen it.
Re: About My Father [message #96810 is a reply to message #96807] Fri, 30 June 2023 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
It reminded me of Meet the Fockers. I thought it was funny and had a great time with my family, so it wasn't a wasted trip by any means, but the films are eerily similar. Maybe it's because of Robert De Niro.

I don't know much about Kim Cattrall, but my wife is a fan, and she felt like you did, Madison. I guess all Hollywood stars are fighting the effects of aging for as long as possible. Sometimes it turns out okay, but often it just looks fake.
Re: About My Father [message #96813 is a reply to message #96810] Sat, 01 July 2023 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Leot55 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 18:09

I don't know much about Kim Cattrall, but my wife is a fan, and she felt like you did, Madison. I guess all Hollywood stars are fighting the effects of aging for as long as possible. Sometimes it turns out okay, but often it just looks fake.
It isn't just the ladies with their puffy frog lips and skin pulled tighter than a snare drum. Look at Mickey Roarke, then and now. Damn, I think a supermarket butcher would do a better job. Freakish.
Re: About My Father [message #96822 is a reply to message #96813] Tue, 04 July 2023 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
[quote title=Rusty wrote on Sat, 01 July 2023 08:35]Leot55 wrote on Fri, 30 June 2023 18:09

Look at Mickey Roarke, then and now. Damn, I think a supermarket butcher would do a better job. Freakish.
Funny you should say that. Have you seen "The Wrestler?" In that movie, he did a stint as a deli worker in a supermarket and cut his finger badly in one of the scenes.
Re: About My Father [message #96823 is a reply to message #96822] Tue, 04 July 2023 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Kingfish wrote on Tue, 04 July 2023 05:05

Funny you should say that. Have you seen "The Wrestler?" In that movie, he did a stint as a deli worker in a supermarket and cut his finger badly in one of the scenes.
Oh yeah. That's Mickey's comeback movie of acclaim. A very good character study that his acting talents show through. Got an Academy nomination. And yes, the deli slice scene on his fingers can't escape the hack job on his features. Hollywood isn't a very heathy environment for accepting just what natures ways are.
Re: About My Father [message #96836 is a reply to message #96807] Fri, 07 July 2023 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
The worst plastic surgery botch on a male celebrity has to be Val Kilmer, who was unrecognizable in Top Gun: Maverick. I'm sure that men fall victim to the same worries about getting older, especially if they were originally cast as top studs.

Leo, yeah, maybe it is similar to Meet the Fockers. I didn't notice it when I was watching My Father, but then again, it's been a while since I've seen the older comedy.

Rusty, The Wrestler was another good show. Rourke was never a looker, though, was he? I never thought so.
Re: About My Father [message #96868 is a reply to message #96823] Sat, 29 July 2023 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I forgot all about the comeback role angle. The acting was just so darned good.

And I'm sure the Mickey Rourkes of the world can get access to some software that can show them how they will look after a procedure.
Re: About My Father [message #96872 is a reply to message #96868] Sat, 29 July 2023 17:35 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Mickey's a really good actor when he's gotten a role that calls for more than just skating through some dialogue, but using real acting skills. Like his movie Angel Heart back in the 80's.

As far as having an idea what he'd look like after his latest surgery. Whoa! He should of opted for his character Marv from Sin City.
Previous Topic: Movies on the Bus
Next Topic: Binge-worthy on Paramount+?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:27:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout