Home » Audio » Home Theater » An advanced replacement
An advanced replacement [message #84566] Sun, 12 February 2017 04:16 Go to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Is it only me or does anyone else find the modern day home theaters to be a bit bulky? I am of the opinion that a less 'complicated' system would actually do the trick. Smaller subwoofers and/or speakers sounds like a great idea.
Re: An advanced replacement [message #84570 is a reply to message #84566] Sun, 12 February 2017 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Bigger is better!

Seriously, where speakers are concerned, bigger truly is better. Hoffman's Iron Law states that you can have any two of the following: small size, deep bass or high efficiency. You can optimize any two, but not all three. So if the speaker is small, it must be either inefficient or bass shy, possibly both.

This rule is quantified in the Thiele/Small formulas used to design all modern loudspeakers.

Re: An advanced replacement [message #84580 is a reply to message #84570] Sun, 12 February 2017 23:53 Go to previous message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Sun, 12 February 2017 11:12

Bigger is better!

Seriously, where speakers are concerned, bigger truly is better. Hoffman's Iron Law states that you can have any two of the following: small size, deep bass or high efficiency. You can optimize any two, but not all three. So if the speaker is small, it must be either inefficient or bass shy, possibly both.

This rule is quantified in the Thiele/Small formulas used to design all modern loudspeakers.

Thanks for this Wayne; I had no idea there was some science behind it. I love bass in my speakers so I don't think there's any need to think of any other replacement.
Previous Topic: Music formats
Next Topic: Surround - 5 or 7?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:35:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout