Home » Audio » General » Building audio cables from scratch
Building audio cables from scratch [message #84336] Mon, 16 January 2017 07:07 Go to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I know how to coil audio and visual cables right but I'm now looking at how to be able to build these from scratch. Do all of them always follow the common positive, negative and ground?
Re: Building audio cables from scratch [message #84348 is a reply to message #84336] Tue, 17 January 2017 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Audio is AC, so positive and negative terms don't apply. However, sometimes (often) the connections are still labeled that way, and it generally means positive voltage on a positive terminal will cause positive pressure, e.g. forward diaphragm motion at the speaker.

One key factor is whether the interface is balanced or unbalanced; Shielding is important for unbalanced connections, and most commercial audio preamp connections are unbalanced. For speaker wires, the main thing is the conductor size. In all cases, you want a good quality connector because the contact is a potential trouble spot.

Re: Building audio cables from scratch [message #84357 is a reply to message #84336] Thu, 19 January 2017 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gemmel is currently offline  Gemmel
Baron
That is a very informative and detailed reply, Wayne Parham. Thanks for that. I love that I learn so much even just from reading other people's posts.
Re: Building audio cables from scratch [message #84359 is a reply to message #84336] Thu, 19 January 2017 07:59 Go to previous message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Over time, I have realized that there's nothing too hard, unless you are unwilling to learn. My youngest sibling can almost do anything to do with cables. It is just a matter of how much interest a person has.
Previous Topic: 3D audio for gaming
Next Topic: Night Music And Day Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:14:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout