Home » Audio » General » Speakers and amps
Speakers and amps [message #84266] Sat, 07 January 2017 13:26 Go to next message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
This may sound like a silly questions to those who are more knowledgeable about this subject, but please assist me anyway. How many speakers can I connect to one amp without blowing it?
Re: Speakers and amps [message #84269 is a reply to message #84266] Sun, 08 January 2017 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
It depends on the power of the amp and the power of the speakers.Check the manufacturer's guide for the amp and the speakers, and look out for the amp's minimum impedance as too few or wrongly rated speakers can cause as much damage as too many.
Re: Speakers and amps [message #84275 is a reply to message #84269] Sun, 08 January 2017 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Study electrical impedance. Study series and parallel electrical circuits. Don't connect speakers to your amplifier in a way that causes impedance to go below the amplifier's minimum impedance on any channel.

Generally, you want to make sure the average impedance is around 8Ω. Most amplifiers start getting hot at high output levels when the load dips below 4Ω. So it's safest to keep impedance between 4Ω and 8Ω.

Those are recommendations for solid state amps. Tube amps are a little different. They don't like high impedances, so if you have a tube amp, don't let average load impedance to be more than about twice what the amps output transformer tap is designed for.

Re: Speakers and amps [message #84279 is a reply to message #84266] Mon, 09 January 2017 23:42 Go to previous message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
As much as I appreciate your replies, I have to say you lost me at the first sentence. I guess I have a lot of reading and researching to do in order to learn enough to be able to do this myself. Otherwise I'll be forced to find someone else to do it for me.
Previous Topic: Blue tooth
Next Topic: Where to get rare formats?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:12:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout