Home » Audio » Home Theater » What causes humming through the speakers?
What causes humming through the speakers? [message #83737] Thu, 20 October 2016 02:06 Go to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
I have been told before that bad cables or faulty equipment can actually cause bad noise. I also remember reading something about ground loops. Is anyone familiar with the latter?
Re: What causes humming through the speakers? [message #83743 is a reply to message #83737] Thu, 20 October 2016 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I get that humming sound occasionally but I have never been the type to want to find out the real cause. I'd also appreciate some advice on how to fix such issues without much difficulty.
Re: What causes humming through the speakers? [message #83744 is a reply to message #83743] Thu, 20 October 2016 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Hum can be caused by inadequate power supply filtering, inductively or capacitively coupled noise (through cables or internal to equipment) or through ground loops.

You have to know what's causing the noise to fix it. You can find that out with an oscilloscope or using a process of trial and error.

Techies can solve power supply filtering problems by adding shunt capacitance, series inductance and/or regulator circuits to the noisy supply.

Coupled noise can be solved with better shielding or by changing the signal path or both.

Ground loops are caused by having multiple ground connections, each at a different potential. That causes current flow through the ground conductor(s) which causes noise. The solution is to make sure there is only a single ground, with all connections made to it. This is sometimes hard in large systems, so various isolation techniques are employed.

Re: What causes humming through the speakers? [message #83756 is a reply to message #83737] Fri, 21 October 2016 16:29 Go to previous message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Wayne, thank you so much for that. At times, I think that it helps to let a techy handle everything. Can the ground loop be fixed by using DI boxes? I think I have come across an article online that mentioned this.
Previous Topic: Purchasing online
Next Topic: Attaching a subwoofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:32:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout