Home » Audio » General » Long Term Investment?
Long Term Investment? [message #83110] Thu, 28 July 2016 03:24 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
When you are shopping for audio equipment, do you look at the purchase as a long term investment? Or do you look for the best sound to suit your needs?
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #83116 is a reply to message #83110] Thu, 28 July 2016 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
I suppose I do. Kind of, sort of. I tell myself that I want it to last as long as possible and then make my choice based on the sound quality I'm going to listen to for the next 10 or 15 years.
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #83118 is a reply to message #83110] Thu, 28 July 2016 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
A few years ago, I decided it was the right time for me to build a home, hifi rig.

In my build process, I buy a component because I need it to start with, and/or I wasn't happy with the recently purchased existing one.

I don't believe I am one of those audiophiles that gets bored with his equipment after a few years, and needs to try something new, no matter how good the current system sounds.

In my case, I am satisfied with my current speakers, amps and dac.
I am only left looking for a turntable to play some of my old albums.

After that, I should be good for the rest of my life.
So I guess in my case, it's a "long term investment".
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #83144 is a reply to message #83110] Sun, 31 July 2016 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Incidentally, when I bought my first audio equipment, I wasn't really looking to own it for the long term. Eleven years later, it is still in good condition and my brother now uses it on his PC. When I bought the next one, longevity was something I was looking to achieve and I think I got a good deal.
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #83151 is a reply to message #83110] Sun, 31 July 2016 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I think what immediately comes to mind when shopping is the quality of what I want to buy. Hypothetically speaking then, anything that is of good quality will definitely last for a long time.
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #83195 is a reply to message #83110] Wed, 03 August 2016 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I always go for quality. But then I also design and build much of my stuff. Quality though in the market place is a bit difficult to accurately determine. Manufacturers know that bright and shiny stuff sells well and boring things don't. They also often hide the performance characteristics in flowery terms like powerful, wide response, low distortion.... But without some sort of reference they are meaningless. Worse some inflate the characteristics. If I could have a dollar for every add I have seen for mini speakers that handle 100,200 or more watts of power I could buy a mansion. Try that with most and they will quickly become incandescent. It used to be that how much something weighed was a fair indication of quality. The shysters figured that one out and added chunks of iron (they banned lead) to the cases of their products and then doubled the price. Reviews were a good idea until the companies "hired" folks to write good ones for them.

So...what to do? After deciding on something that might work for what you want and listening to it (when possible) look at fit and finish. Look at the materials used to make it. Are the markings painted on, or etched, engraved or powder coated? Is is made of something other than plastic? Real wood not plastic, thick metal panels not super thin ones? If it has connectors are they sturdy, do not be fooled by "gold plated" parts as that is only one aspect of connectors. BTW I have many connectors that are tin or copper and not gold. Each kind has good and bad points.

Check the warranty. Do you have to pay to send it to them? How long does it last? What is actually covered? What are their options if something isn't right? How about returns to sellers? Do they allow it?

Finally don't be fooled by name brand stuff. Most of the legacy brands have been sold to companies that have nothing to do with the company that established the brand. I get a real laugh out of "Jeep" brand boom boxes. Get real folks.

'nuf from a guy who has seen (and bought often times) the good stuff. Right now I'm listening to a 40 year old LP through a Marantz amp I bought in 1969. Cool

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #83235 is a reply to message #83116] Thu, 04 August 2016 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
What a review gofar, coz you nailed it! I think you been there, seen and done it all. You mention really valid points and I like when you talk about brand. A lot of people are normally blinded by particular brands which should never be the case. I will definitely be keener next time.
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #83569 is a reply to message #83110] Thu, 22 September 2016 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
I look for quality because this more or less translates to durability whichever way you look at it. I would rather spend much more now and have some audio equipment for the long term.
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #83589 is a reply to message #83569] Sun, 25 September 2016 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, One thing I didn't really address is that some technology is changing so fast that it doesn't make good sense to buy the best. This is certainly true in the digital world. Today's best will be several notches lower in just a year. When I shop for digital gear I usually look at one or two year old stuff. Usually a lot less costly and will do nearly everything as well as the newer gear. For established technologies getting top notch gear does make sense IMO.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Long Term Investment? [message #83695 is a reply to message #83110] Thu, 06 October 2016 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
chatzy02 is currently offline  chatzy02
Baron
I love my music and my movies and so that experience has to be the best it possibly can be for me. I make sure that I buy the best video and audio equipment every time. Quality is very important to me and I don't mind paying more for the good stuff.
Previous Topic: Music In Your Budget
Next Topic: No sound on laptop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:59:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout