Home » Audio » Radio » Listening to old time hits
Listening to old time hits [message #82846] Fri, 17 June 2016 13:08 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I am sure each of us, irrespective of the time we were born, relates to some old time hit. I am a 90's kid so once in a while, I get into YouTube to listen to some of these hits. I do not have a particular favorite but I just love the originality that existed in times gone by. Auto-tune seems to have killed talent and creativity.
Re: Listening to old time hits [message #82853 is a reply to message #82846] Sat, 18 June 2016 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I agree with what your saying.

I grew up in the 70's, and I like to listen to music from that era or earlier.

Here comes my "rant"-

For me, the word "autotune" is a four letter word.
It sounds fake and overly smooth, like a homogenous mix of man and machine, it creates sort of an in-human sound. It is quite stark.

Dont forget, autotune is not just for vocals, it can be (and often is) used with individual instruments as well Shocked .
Lets not forget about listening groups, used to determine what song (and parts of songs) are the most enjoyable to us.

The new trend (about 20 yrs.), is that music and music "stars" seem to be manufactured.

Before all this nonsense, things were very simple-
"the cream would rise to the top".

I'd say 95% of todays music (if you can call it that) has autotune all over it.

From a pessimistic point of view, one might say that we are being lied to..........................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVjy2zyQ7Oo
Re: Listening to old time hits [message #82854 is a reply to message #82846] Sat, 18 June 2016 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
The truth is that we are actually being lied to. After watching that YouTube video, I wonder what's left of music in this day and what is in store for the future.
Re: Listening to old time hits [message #82857 is a reply to message #82846] Sat, 18 June 2016 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Im not sure what can be done for the future of pop/rock music.

All I do is listen to older music.
There is a ton of very well recorded music from the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's.
Even some early, to mid 90's stuff.

Here's another "rant" in case youre unaware-

There is another common trait that usually exists side by side with autotune, which could be argued as being even worse.
It is called "dynamic range compression".

You may have heard of the "loudness wars"-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Fb3rWNWDA

What good is a nice set of Pi speakers in a sound system, or any other set of hifi speakers in your home, if you cannot turn it up?

I sometimes enjoy turning up the volume to fairly loud/full levels,
or even louder when having a party, which can give the impression there is a band in the room.

Dont try that with most pop/rock thats been recorded within the last 20 yrs.

Listen to the difference in this 15 year old Nirvana song-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v6ML2DsBfA

I hear a big difference on my laptop.
listen to that on some "bigs"and youd really hear a difference.
I'd bet the compressed version would be more or less unlistenable at a nice full volume.

Just another reason to keep enjoying the oldies Cool
Re: Listening to old time hits [message #83389 is a reply to message #82846] Sat, 27 August 2016 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leon is currently offline  Leon
Chancellor
I enjoy my old time music since I grew up listening to them. I do enjoy certain songs from the 90s and later but I agree that most are void of meaning. Thanks for your posts, johnnycamp5, they are informative indeed!
Re: Listening to old time hits [message #83625 is a reply to message #83389] Sun, 02 October 2016 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Odie is currently offline  Odie
Chancellor
Ya'll are just kids. I'm a 60's kid and we listened to the radio all the time. The selection was random of course and we sang and danced along when our favorite tune was played. These days I subscribe to Sirus Radio and also listen to Pandora where I can get my 60's music all the time. Very Happy
Re: Listening to old time hits [message #83631 is a reply to message #83625] Sun, 02 October 2016 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi From another 60s fan. I remember them well and oh by the way I subscribe to XM. My rather large vinyl collection is largely void of newer stuff with the exception of jazz and singer-songwriters. I find the latter a positive trend in creativity.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Listening to old time hits [message #83682 is a reply to message #82846] Thu, 06 October 2016 09:53 Go to previous message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
I'm also a 90's kid. Every time I turned on the radio, I listened to many songs from that time. I'm just somehow drawn to them. It's a shame that music is more about effect than the notes or the lyrics these days.
Previous Topic: Radio DJ
Next Topic: Radio broadcasting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:00:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout