Home » Audio » Home Theater » The Roku
The Roku [message #80749] Fri, 24 October 2014 02:39 Go to next message
audiophile88 is currently offline  audiophile88
Baron
We bought a Roku streaming device several years ago and at first we loved it. Nowadays it seems to run slower and slower... and slower! We've tried updating it and even though it says it's completely up to date, it still runs ridiculously slow. Are the new Roku devices bad about this, too?
Re: The Roku [message #80753 is a reply to message #80749] Fri, 24 October 2014 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Be sure it's not your internet connection. Can you download files on your PC pretty fast? Or has that slowed down too?

As for the device itself, there have been several firmware updates over the years, and the Roku box is getting more sophisticated. Newer hardware runs the firmware just fine, but it could be that the older devices just aren't up to the task anymore. I don't know - I decommisioned my old devices and bought new as time went by.

These steaming client boxes are pretty cheap. I'd buy a new one and see if it works better for you. The price is low enough it won't hurt you, and you can always repurpose the old one for another room or save it for a backup.

Re: The Roku [message #80831 is a reply to message #80749] Fri, 14 November 2014 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
We have an older model Roku, too, and yes, it does run slowly. Of all the devices we have that can stream apps like Netflix, our Roku and Apple streamers are the slowest.
Re: The Roku [message #80845 is a reply to message #80753] Mon, 17 November 2014 12:57 Go to previous message
audiophile88 is currently offline  audiophile88
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 24 October 2014 10:58

Be sure it's not your internet connection. Can you download files on your PC pretty fast? Or has that slowed down too?

It's not our internet connection; I do know that much. We tested the internet speed and we're getting what we should be. Plus, no issues with downloading on the computer or streaming via our Xboxes.
Previous Topic: Astro Gaming?
Next Topic: Home Theater Location
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 03:50:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout