Home » xyzzy » Tower » Big name stores being hacked
Big name stores being hacked [message #80685] Fri, 10 October 2014 15:47 Go to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
So many big name stores have been hacked by identity thieves in the past year or so. Home Depot was one of the last ones I heard about, and now I'm hearing that Dairy Queen has been targeted. I read an article online today that said about 400 of their stores have been affected so far. Are our cards not really safe anywhere anymore? Should we go back to paying with cash? I've already had my stuff stolen once; I definitely don't want it to happen again!!
Re: Big name stores being hacked [message #80686 is a reply to message #80685] Fri, 10 October 2014 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You wouldn't believe the complexity of the systems and the security that's in place. But there is one thing that can undermine even that - an inside job. No matter of digital security can protect a company if someone inside the company with secure access decides to "break in." There is no "break in" - because they're already inside.

Re: Big name stores being hacked [message #80700 is a reply to message #80686] Sun, 12 October 2014 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Maybe if we instituted the death penality for hacking it would slow it down. Also allow hit men to go after hackers not in the US. A bounty system might work. Twisted Evil

Better still less reliance on plastic money. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Big name stores being hacked [message #80708 is a reply to message #80686] Mon, 13 October 2014 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 10 October 2014 16:58

You wouldn't believe the complexity of the systems and the security that's in place. But there is one thing that can undermine even that - an inside job. No matter of digital security can protect a company if someone inside the company with secure access decides to "break in." There is no "break in" - because they're already inside.

That's a good point, Wayne. No system is hacker-proof, but an inside job is easier by far.

I generally use my debit card for purchases but since it's been potentially compromised twice in the past 12 months, I think I'm going to use my credit card now.
Re: Big name stores being hacked [message #80710 is a reply to message #80685] Mon, 13 October 2014 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
It's not comforting at all to think that many of these so-called "hack" jobs might actually be inside jobs! That means there's pretty much nothing that can be done to protect your credit or debit card. I had my card hacked earlier this year, all of my money stolen, and then the whole account over-drafted by several hundred dollars. I got the money back, but not before it made most of my bills that month late. Now I only use my debit card at my bank's ATM machine; everywhere else, I just pay with cash.
Re: Big name stores being hacked [message #80722 is a reply to message #80710] Wed, 15 October 2014 21:01 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I am considering the barter method. I have twice replaced my debit card this year so far because of hacks at places I had shopped. I have two free account watchers now from the companies.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Neverending Rain
Next Topic: Ebola
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:29:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers