Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » 1st Scratch Build Done.
1st Scratch Build Done. [message #11438] Mon, 12 January 2009 15:49 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Repost from Tubes Forum:

At least for the most part. A few tweaks here and there but it plays music and that's good for my first scratch build. Went for junkyard industrial on the look

A big thanks to Norris for all the help he's provided over the last two years. I think we are friends because we are both the quintissential procrastinators!!!!

You can see the schematic and more pics here:

Re: 1st Scratch Build Done. [message #11439 is a reply to message #11438] Tue, 13 January 2009 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's awesome, Shane. Looks like a great job! I like the way you ran your wires, nice and clean. Bet it helps with hum reduction too.

Hey, remember that Nelson Audio amp that UPS dropped about 3 years ago? Did I ever tell you what happened to that after you shipped it back to me? I guess UPS paid the claim to Frank, and you and he settled. But the broken amp just sat there. UPS never collected it.

This weekend, I got tired of having it around collectimng dust so I opened it up to see what the matter was. Three large power resistors were poofed and on closer examination, I saw that some hand-wired parts in the power supply had shifted from the impact and were touching. That caused I high current short. So I moved those components, replaced the power resistors and the cracked tube. Works like a charm!

So I decided to touch up the paint where impact scratched it and even swapped the electrolytics for cerafines. It now has a second life!

Re: 1st Scratch Build Done. [message #11440 is a reply to message #11439] Tue, 13 January 2009 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Cool. If I had known then what little knowledge I have gained now, I would have kept it and fixed it myself. I figured later on that it was just some broken wires or such. Still kick myself for making a claim and sending it back.

Still wanna get rid of it

Nelson Amp [message #11441 is a reply to message #11440] Tue, 13 January 2009 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I figured Frank got it back or UPS had it. Got a very little bit of money back out of the deal, but never knew where the amp ended up. Then Frank started going out of the business and unfortunately passed.

Re: Nelson Amp [message #11442 is a reply to message #11441] Tue, 13 January 2009 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I always wondered what happened on that deal. Did Frank supply you with a different amp or refund your purchase price? Or did you get the claim from UPS directly?

You and I should talk this week by phone about a new LSAF. Wherever we decide to do it, I'll bring this amp for "show and tell".

Re: Nelson Amp [message #11443 is a reply to message #11442] Tue, 13 January 2009 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I don't remember exactly where the "refund" came from, only that it wasn't what the amp was worth . Frank didn't have anymore of that model and didn't know if he could get anymore, so he couldn't send me another one and then he wouldn't answer my emails or phone calls after that one time talking with him.

Email me you phone # Wayne and maybe we can get together this week or on the weekend. I'll give Norris a call as well and see if he wants to help.

Schematic updated. [message #11444 is a reply to message #11438] Tue, 13 January 2009 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Not a big deal, but I changed from switch both the hot and neutral to just switching the hot leg. The pics don't reflect this as I forgot to ake some while I hade the cover off making the change.

Re: Schematic updated. [message #11445 is a reply to message #11444] Wed, 14 January 2009 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for that schematic. It's such a nice little amp, would you mind if we put it in the Projects directory here? It might be fun for some of the rest of us to follow in your footsteps.

Re: Nelson Amp [message #11446 is a reply to message #11443] Wed, 14 January 2009 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that about the amp. Now I feel bad!

About LSAF, my number is 918-663-2131. I agree with you about including Norris, and that we three should get an E-Mail thread going to discuss this. Maybe he and I can get together this weekend and do a conference call with you.

Re: Nelson Amp [message #11447 is a reply to message #11446] Wed, 14 January 2009 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Maybe we can work out a "deal" with the amp

I emailed Norris last night and I think he would be interested in helping. I believe we would both like to get details to see what we're up against before we commit.

I know one of the first things is going to be to get a list of all the other shows and their dates so we can work that out once and for all.

Previous Topic: Darling amp done
Next Topic: amp questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:37:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout