Home » xyzzy » Tower » Electricity (Usage goes down, rates go up!)
Electricity [message #79648] Mon, 10 March 2014 00:06 Go to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
Last month we used a lot more electricity than we did this month, because last month was so cold that we had to run the heater almost 24/7. However, this month's bill was still $5 higher than last month's, even though you can see plain as day that the kilowatt usage was lower this go round. Turns out they hiked the per-kilowatt-hour rates up this month. How do you like that?! As soon as average usage goes down, the rates go up!! Mad
Re: Electricity [message #79650 is a reply to message #79648] Mon, 10 March 2014 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jackson is currently offline  Jackson
Viscount
My electric company actually has a disclaimer at the bottom of the bill that says that they charge more when demand goes up because they can. I don't know how this isn't price gauging, but apparently it isn't.
Re: Electricity [message #79652 is a reply to message #79648] Mon, 10 March 2014 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smitty is currently offline  Smitty
Baron
I don't even want to talk about the cost of electricity. I wish that we had some sort of choice in who supplied the electricity, but we don't. I think that the electric companies have a monopoly and we need competition.
Re: Electricity [message #79660 is a reply to message #79648] Tue, 11 March 2014 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
I agree with you, Smitty. We don't have a choice in the matter here, either, and I just don't think that's right. They have a monopoly on the utility and in any other industry, that would be illegal.
Re: Electricity [message #79725 is a reply to message #79660] Wed, 19 March 2014 20:43 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes indeed. Our power company adds a surcharge for power when they get it from the grid. It has been running about 10% recently. Worse over the past 6-7 years they have increased rates every year. We used to have fairly cheap power at around 10.5 cents per KW (plus all the fees and such). Now it is over 18.5 cents and the fees are mostly percentage based so they went up as well. We get charged sales tax on it as well. Our net cost is about 50% above where we were and our use (we are a bit more efficient now) is about 50% less. It can be a challenge in an all electric house.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: GM offers cash allowance to owners of recalled vehicles
Next Topic: Missing flight
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:18:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers