Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Tube amp humm, Power conditioner?
Tube amp humm, Power conditioner? [message #11293] Mon, 27 February 2006 18:31 Go to next message
Peter Swartz is currently offline  Peter Swartz
Baron
Hello, I'm concidering purchasing a power conditioner to help clean up some of my amp humm and noise. Is it likely that this would help? Can you suggest a specific type? I don't want to accidentally buy a high dollar power strip. What type of components should I be looking for? How much should I expect to spend? Can a couple hundred dollars do the trick? Thanks for your help, Pete

Re: Tube amp humm, Power conditioner? [message #11294 is a reply to message #11293] Mon, 27 February 2006 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I think it is not a good idea. Think in terms of what a power conditioner does; it prevents overloads and controls the release of power to the amp during times of high demand. Exactly what you don't want.

Re: Tube amp humm, Power conditioner? [message #11298 is a reply to message #11293] Wed, 01 March 2006 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You just missed the steal of the century. Picked this up for $120, after $50 rebate. Too bad the sale has ended. Not sure it would help with your hum, but it didn't break the bank and looks a hella lot cooler than my Topaz power conditioners........Colin

Hum or Noise? [message #11303 is a reply to message #11293] Fri, 03 March 2006 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Peter,

Are you having problems with hum or noise? If hum, the most common cause of it is ground loop and a power conditioner wouldn't help.

Re: Tube amp humm, Power conditioner? [message #11347 is a reply to message #11298] Thu, 10 August 2006 23:52 Go to previous message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Just a thought. I do not think Monster unit this is a surge protector, or has filtering also does it? For about $150 you can buy a used Powervar hospital lab grade with voltage and line filtering on ebay. I have two Powervars now and a third one for my home theater coming. These filter and offer excellent protection since they were designed for high end sensitive laboratory equipment. These Powervars still sell new for ~$1200 for the model 12 that I have. They are a steal at around $200 used. For my audio system I added an additional level of dedicated line filtering for my two pairs of tube mono block amps into these Powervars. The background noise level dropped down to next to nothing. I have very sensitive 6' tall 2-way horn speakers at over 100dB efficient with 1 Watt at 1 Meter. Just another suggestion is all. John

Previous Topic: New Transformer
Next Topic: Say John 42
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:54:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout