Home » xyzzy » Tower » How to handle power outages
How to handle power outages [message #79413] Wed, 12 February 2014 06:59 Go to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
We've got some bad weather headed our way. It's already started in the overnight hours with rain that's freezing to ice as soon as it hits the ground, but it's expected to get worse over the next few days. On the news, they're saying we should "expect" widespread power outages that could last a while.

What's the best way to handle a power outage like this?
What's should I do to protect my electronics from power surges if/when the power goes out?
What's the best way to stay warm when you have no electricity?
Re: How to handle power outages [message #79418 is a reply to message #79413] Wed, 12 February 2014 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iceage is currently offline  Iceage
Baron
I don't trust surge protectors, though I have them on all my gear. I unplug anything that really matters to me, to ensure that there's just no way that anything can go wrong.
Re: How to handle power outages [message #79424 is a reply to message #79418] Wed, 12 February 2014 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, a potentially difficult situation. We are really unlikely to have the type of weather you are expecting (it is not something southern Arizona is noted for) but do get severe thunder storms and in summer the potential for brown outs. Most garden variety stuff like TVs I just don't worry about. FOr high value equipment I protect my stuff two ways. I use a Triplet voltage stabilizer that will adjust the voltage if it gets either too low or high. I has some surge protection built in as well. It feeds a custom surge protector EMI filter and equipment isolator. It clamps the surges, filters out most of the crud and isolates some of the equipment from other equipment (6 separate isolation banks). An available commercial device that does most of the same things is made by APC the "H" series 1000, 1500 devices that are designed for protecting AV gear. Last time I checked the 1000 (1KW load) was about $225 and the 1500 (1.5KW load) was about $75 more.

In your situation I would avoid if possible use on a portable generator. They are notorious for problems. I believe I would disconnect sensitive gear before the problem occurs and use either battery powered or cheap stuff for the duration. That would minimize your loss if it gets fried.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: How to handle power outages [message #79440 is a reply to message #79413] Thu, 13 February 2014 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenwoody is currently offline  Kenwoody
Viscount
If this is something that happens a lot where you live, like every winter for example, I would stock up on camping stuff. Buy a Coleman stove, which is propane-powered, along with a propane-powered heater. Then, as long as you keep yourself stocked on propane, you can always cook and stay warm. As for light, buy battery powered lanterns, oil lamps, flashlights, and/or candles.
Re: How to handle power outages [message #79453 is a reply to message #79413] Fri, 14 February 2014 14:56 Go to previous message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Luckily we managed to avoid any major issues; our power never even went out, although a lot of other people around town weren't so lucky.
Previous Topic: Smart TV not so smart
Next Topic: What did you get for Valentine's day?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:45:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio