Home » xyzzy » Tower » The Shining, Doctor Sleep
The Shining, Doctor Sleep [message #79401] Tue, 11 February 2014 13:23 Go to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
I just finished reading The Shining last night. (Can I just say, "Wow!" at how differently the book ends as compared with the movie??) Anyways, turns out a sequel was just released for it towards the end of last year, called Doctor Sleep. Have any of you read both the books? If so, what are your thoughts on Danny as a 5-8 year old and then Danny as an adult?
Re: The Shining, Doctor Sleep [message #79407 is a reply to message #79401] Wed, 12 February 2014 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioClueless is currently offline  AudioClueless
Baron
Ok, I love this book! I read The Shining just last week! I have Doctor Sleep too, but have yet to read it. Have you bought it yet? It might be nice to read and compare notes. I'm excited about starting it because The Shining was incredible.
Re: The Shining, Doctor Sleep [message #79420 is a reply to message #79401] Wed, 12 February 2014 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I haven't bought Doctor Sleep yet, but my copy of The Shining (on Kindle) did come with an excerpt of the first chapter (or two?). Looks like Stephen King decided to revisit the issue of alcoholism (but that's not giving anything away, I promise). I plan on buying tonight or tomorrow. God knows I need something to do at night when I can't sleep!!
Re: The Shining, Doctor Sleep [message #79428 is a reply to message #79401] Thu, 13 February 2014 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I have a copy of it on my Kindle, but also on Audible. I tend to switch between formats depending on whether there are children around when I'm using it, though obviously I can't use Kindle when I'm cooking so then Audible comes into play.

I guess I'm getting started on it then, and looking forward to it.
Re: The Shining, Doctor Sleep [message #79439 is a reply to message #79401] Thu, 13 February 2014 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenwoody is currently offline  Kenwoody
Viscount
timron wrote on Tue, 11 February 2014 13:23
I just finished reading The Shining last night. (Can I just say, "Wow!" at how differently the book ends as compared with the movie??) Anyways, turns out a sequel was just released for it towards the end of last year, called Doctor Sleep. Have any of you read both the books? If so, what are your thoughts on Danny as a 5-8 year old and then Danny as an adult?

Timron, I have watched the movie but not read the book. How are the two so different? What happens at the end of the book as compared with the end of the movie?
Re: The Shining, Doctor Sleep [message #79441 is a reply to message #79439] Fri, 14 February 2014 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Kenwoody wrote on Thu, 13 February 2014 17:17
timron wrote on Tue, 11 February 2014 13:23

Timron, I have watched the movie but not read the book. How are the two so different? What happens at the end of the book as compared with the end of the movie?

Well, I don't really want to give away any spoilers for people who might come across this that haven't read the book and want to, so if you really want to know, I'd suggest you read it. I will say this, however: the fates of some of the key characters differ between the movie and the book.
Re: The Shining, Doctor Sleep [message #79448 is a reply to message #79401] Fri, 14 February 2014 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Honestly the book and the movie are like night and day. You need to read the book to fully appreciate what a wonderful piece of fiction this is.
Re: The Shining, Doctor Sleep [message #79471 is a reply to message #79448] Mon, 17 February 2014 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
AudioClueless wrote on Fri, 14 February 2014 05:22
Honestly the book and the movie are like night and day. You need to read the book to fully appreciate what a wonderful piece of fiction this is.

I agree with this 110%. I really couldn't believe that Stanley Kubrick took the movie in the direction that he did after reading the book. The movie should have had a different title altogether if you ask me!

On another note, I finished Doctor Sleep. Smile
Re: The Shining, Doctor Sleep [message #79519 is a reply to message #79401] Thu, 20 February 2014 14:19 Go to previous message
Kenwoody is currently offline  Kenwoody
Viscount
Well, you guys have really piqued my interest by talking about how different the book and movie are, so I bought the book last night. I started reading but so far, the two seem to be running fairly close.
Previous Topic: Books
Next Topic: So tired of bad weather!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:05:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout