Home » Audio » Radio » All we have left are top 40 stations.
All we have left are top 40 stations. [message #79105] Mon, 27 January 2014 21:09 Go to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
We used to have a pretty wide selection of radio stations here. We had a top 40, a classic rock station, a couple of hard rock stations, an easy-listening station, several country stations, a Christian station, and some R&B and rap stations. Now, all we have left are 3 stations, all of which have been bought out and are now Top 40 pop hits. What's happened to all the good stations?!
Re: All we have left are top 40 stations. [message #79117 is a reply to message #79105] Tue, 28 January 2014 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The answer is economics. The sponsors stopped supporting many because everyone was using smart phone and MP3 players and not listening to radio. Many of the rest of us are using satellite radio or internet. Thus fewer listeners = fewer sponsor dollars and poof the stations go under.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: All we have left are top 40 stations. [message #79140 is a reply to message #79117] Wed, 29 January 2014 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
Man, I hate to hear that. I guess I can't blame the sponsors for bailing when the ads aren't paying off anymore but man, we have lost some really good stations over the years. The streaming stuff you can find through apps like iHeart Radio just isn't the same. I miss the old DJs.
Re: All we have left are top 40 stations. [message #80082 is a reply to message #79105] Fri, 13 June 2014 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harlow is currently offline  Harlow
Chancellor
This is sort of shocking to me. I had no idea that this was going on. We have everything from classical to oldies to top 40 here. I guess it's because I'm close to a major city? I just didn't realize that this was happening. What a shame.
Re: All we have left are top 40 stations. [message #80117 is a reply to message #79105] Sat, 21 June 2014 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maille is currently offline  Maille
Chancellor
We are the same, mostly pop. I think there is one country station, which is still on the air because there would probably be an outcry if it wasn't. There are still a lot of country music fans in our city. There is one alternative station that the young kids listen to. It's too bad really, since I listen to radio as I drive in to work.
Re: All we have left are top 40 stations. [message #82535 is a reply to message #79105] Fri, 29 April 2016 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
It's the same where I live too. There are only a handful of radio stations left in the area. I just hope that they don't do away with radio altogether. My car isn't equipped with the technology to listen to my iPod.
Re: All we have left are top 40 stations. [message #82620 is a reply to message #79105] Fri, 13 May 2016 14:09 Go to previous message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
I was coming home from work this morning and caught quite the surprise. There was a radio station, I honestly can't say what the format is but I doubt that it's top 40, that was playing nothing but songs with the word "luck" or "lucky" in the title. A "tribute" to Friday the 13th I guess. A lot of these songs were decidedly not top 40 material. But then, some were........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G51CWlKLMyE

This has to be a station in a small town with a good signal judging from where I was and how long the signal stayed with me. There are independent type stations out there, but everyone is right......they're getting few and far between.

Previous Topic: Sending messages via on-air show
Next Topic: Starting my own online radio station
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:07:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout