Home » xyzzy » Tower » Target security breach
Target security breach [message #79104] Mon, 27 January 2014 21:07 Go to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
The Target security breach seems to have opened a Pandora's box of debit and credit card related issues. Now a couple more stores have come out and said their customers' credit and debit card info may have been breached. Is it time to go back to cash?
Re: Target security breach [message #79110 is a reply to message #79104] Tue, 28 January 2014 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
Maybe. I was reading an article earlier about the Target breach that said most consumers haven't even changed their shopping or spending habits. I think people are starting to feel like there's nothing they can do to stop identity theft from happening, so why bother.
Re: Target security breach [message #79114 is a reply to message #79104] Tue, 28 January 2014 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jackson is currently offline  Jackson
Viscount
I was ensnared in the Target breach. I went to Target during the period in question, so in order to protect me, my bank automatically cancelled my debit card. That would have been nice to know before I had a cart full of groceries at the checkout. They did order me a new one though.
Re: Target security breach [message #79118 is a reply to message #79114] Tue, 28 January 2014 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
A can of worms for sure. I went to the bank and got a new debit card before anything bad could occur. It doesn't address the long term problem though. One of the best answers I have encountered is to get the temporary bank cards that have appeared in the past few years. They are not linked to anything except the amount of money you put into it. Gift cards might work as well except the fees that tend to go with them. I figure we should just shoot the guys that do this and it might make others think twice. A death penalty for identity theft might be in order as the thief is not the person he claims to be so therefor should be terminated. Rolling Eyes

Edit....where I'm heading might be better in Dungeon

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Target security breach [message #79132 is a reply to message #79104] Wed, 29 January 2014 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
Well... I don't know about a death penalty for identity thieves... but I agree the penalties should be stiffer. I was also reading up on temporary card numbers as a way to thwart identity theft. Basically the bank assigns your card a temporary number that's only good once, so even if the thieves get the number, they can't use it. It doesn't seem to be catching on quickly, though.
Re: Target security breach [message #79157 is a reply to message #79132] Wed, 29 January 2014 18:41 Go to previous message
LuckyLucy is currently offline  LuckyLucy
Baron
There are apps that you can get that will give you one time numbers for online purchases. The one I have, Abine, claims that you could use its mobile app in a store, just read their number off to the cashier and make him enter it by hand. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems in theory it would work
Previous Topic: State of the Union
Next Topic: UPS letting us down!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:40:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout