Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Still bewildered by it all!
Still bewildered by it all! [message #11053] Thu, 24 March 2005 03:33 Go to next message
Howard is currently offline  Howard
Baron

Dear SET forum,

Since I last wrote I have been searching around the internet for a good SE amp design. It is a very complex job. It is easy enough to find a circuit but how do you get going with gathering the right parts.

For example a huge range of Darling amps can be seen at

http://www.diyparadise.com/Darling.html

All the builders seem so experienced; they all skip the building basics and just again generally show a circuit and the final product. But how will I get to learn about selecting and buying power supply parts, tag boards (I am used to a PCB) and building a chassis

Can anyone direct me to a site that provides a step by step guide to building and parts selection?

I am very interested but a bit bewildered by it all

Howard

PS The old amp above (VERDIK) was picked up near a bin 20 years ago, was left in a workshop and brought back to life last year. It now has a partner which I found in NZ (SPOOKY EH?)

Re: Still bewildered by it all! [message #11054 is a reply to message #11053] Thu, 24 March 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What a cool old amp! Nice web pages too, by the way.

I find little bits and pieces here and there. Some of the best information about components is available from parts manufacturers themselves. There are lots of documents scattered here and there that show the manufacturing process of specific components and why they chose that type. As for amp circuits, it's kind of the same thing. You'll find one source that is very informative about one or two topologies, because that's what they've focused on. But they won't have much to say about any of the others. You just have to root around.

Now that you have it narrowed down...... [message #11055 is a reply to message #11053] Thu, 24 March 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Did you look at Pete Millet's site? This amp was recently written up in audioXpress and looks like a winner.

Re: Now that you have it narrowed down...... [message #11056 is a reply to message #11055] Thu, 24 March 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Dear Colin

Thats exactly the sort of thing

Thanks

Howard

Re: Still bewildered by it all! [message #11057 is a reply to message #11053] Fri, 25 March 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
Howard,

I would recommend 3 books to you. All available on the net.

1) book by Morgan Jones (forget title)
2) Tube amp cook book by Allen Wright (Vacuum state.com)
3) Audio Reality by Bruce Rosenblitz (Transedent OTL fame)

All 3 of the above are highly respected, have different points of veiw, discuss why they choose the parts they did.

Have fun

Joe

audioXpress article [message #11058 is a reply to message #11056] Fri, 25 March 2005 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Is there any way you can get a copy of this article? Even if you decide on the Darling, it is worth reading. Between the article and his web page, this amp almost builds itself...Colin

Re: audioXpress article [message #11059 is a reply to message #11058] Fri, 25 March 2005 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Dear Colin,

I agree there is a lot of info here. I would like to buy most of the parts locally (Australia) if I can. Sorting that out may take a bit of time.My main concern, not surprisingly is the power supply end. Downunder we are running on 240V

I have never heard a KT88 as far as I know. How would it compare with the KT66 with which I am fairly familiar?

I think I will be going with this KT88 design because I think I would prefer 1-2 W extra power.

Thanks for all your help. It would be good if it could build itself!

Howard
(Queensland)

Morgan Jones [message #11060 is a reply to message #11057] Fri, 25 March 2005 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Morgan Jones has two books. One on Tube Amplifier and the other on Building Tube Amplifiers. If your not concerned about how an amp works and how to design your own, but just want to know about good building and testing techniques, get the Building Tube Amplifier book. Available from Amazon.

Re: Still bewildered by it all! [message #11061 is a reply to message #11053] Fri, 25 March 2005 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
For any given design, you can either spend next to nothing or have to mortage your home to get it built. A simple resistor can run you a couple of pennies or over $10. Now multiply that by the number of resistors in a typical circuit and you can see how material costs can differ.

What I'm trying to say is, if you're starting out, don't worry too much on the quality of parts. Breadboard the design on a piece of wood with the cheapest parts you can find and focus on getting the build correct (ie getting it to work with no hum). Make sure you like what you hear, THEN start swapping out parts with better quality components to fine tune it. If it sounds good with the cheap parts, quality components can make it even better. However, if the design sounds bad with the cheap parts, even the most expensive components can't help.

Gar.

Re: Still bewildered by it all! [message #11062 is a reply to message #11061] Fri, 25 March 2005 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron

Dear GarMan,

Thanks for your good advice. I did spend a lot of time listening to resistors in the early nineties. At the time comparing Roderstein, Holco (whole copper) Welwyn and the expensive and very clinical (and I mean that in a good way!)Vishay.

The passive controllers use them in key points. See picture above this shows some Vishay types

I used to buy them from Sonic Frontiers in Canada

Which in your opinion offer the best balance between sound quality and cost?

Thanks

Howard

Previous Topic: Electronluv
Next Topic: Heyboer OPT iron vs Hammond?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:17:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio