Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Pull pin...
Re: Also [message #11019 is a reply to message #11018] Fri, 25 February 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Wow! That's very exciting!

Is Mark's Kit a 6V6 completely enclosed amp or a 6550 out in the open amp? I thought he had a 6550-based beastie. . . .

Re: Also [message #11020 is a reply to message #11015] Fri, 25 February 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Uh . . . . note, 'fraid not. Then again, I don't get the mag. That sure is extreme parts count reductions!

Re: Also [message #11021 is a reply to message #11019] Fri, 25 February 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Mark's kit has an open chassis, standard for the Audio Note Kits, I think. It has no transformer covers either; I'd add those if I were him. I see many of the Audio Note kits with chrome side pieces that really look nice.

Re: Also [message #11022 is a reply to message #11021] Fri, 25 February 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Okay, that's what I thought. It's a Kit 2.

Just tryin' to keep track.

Re: Also [message #11023 is a reply to message #11016] Fri, 25 February 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
That would be good. I think it would be nice to a full blown AN system sometime...if you could send something to complement what Mark has, it would be great at one onf our meets.
-akhilesh

Re: Also [message #11083 is a reply to message #11009] Sun, 15 May 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve
Viscount
First off I am a manufacturer. I design and build both SET and PP amps.

The main problem I see is the Intermodulation Distortion (IM). It is generally 3.2 times that of Harmonic Distortion. So if an amp peaks at 3% distortion, the IM is close to 9.5%. If it is 5%, then the IM is more than 15%!

An example of IM distortion: a 1k and 800 signal "mixes" to produce signals of 200hz and 1.8khz. No wonder the music might seem filled out.

One can tell the quality of an amp when a "review mentions liking simple music and not complex, like orchestra. This tells me the IM distortion is very high as it really messes up the music.

Another area is the drive needed for the output signal. Alot of distortion comes from the driver and even before that. This mixes to produce higher order harmonics, although lower in amplitude, that are easier to hear.

Passive parts distortion also plays a major role in the sound. Using passive parts like carbon resistors is guaranteed to artificially "distort/color" the sound.

So the problem with an amp is much more than HD, but IM, topology, parts distortions etc.

Steve

Re: Pull pin... [message #11089 is a reply to message #11004] Tue, 17 May 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
SETs can and do produce alot of odd harmonic distortion too. It depends on the topology, parts quality, and which tubes are used etc. There are also other major problems. I know, I design and build them.

As you mentioned, PPs can have very low distortion without any feedback.

I have to agree with Ash.. At 2004 CES, The Show, all I heard was fat with one or two thin sounding SETs. I visited those rooms several times, on different days listening to different selections.

As you say, "I don't think gross and misleading generalizations do much to advance our collective state of enlightenment regarding the audio arts..."

Steve

Changes in Output Z [message #11125 is a reply to message #10993] Sat, 18 June 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Hi Guys,

I think one problem overlooked with SETs (and I make them) off the top of my head is the huge change in output Z. This can easily be an 8 to one ratio, or more. As an example, the damping factor changing from 8 to just 1 over a portion of the cycle. So the control the amp has over the driver is constantly changing.

PP can also have this problem, in a different way, though to a lesser extent.

Take care.
Steve

Re: Pull pin... [message #11185 is a reply to message #10955] Mon, 08 August 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts_ is currently offline  Matts_
Chancellor
SET is more like a musical instrument- very linear amplification (if designed and built right!), but with it's own set of harmonics, overtones, as all violins, etc. have. When they are pleasing to the listener, so much the better. PP is a fine piece of electrical equipment (again, if designed and built right).

now just wait a sec.... [message #11186 is a reply to message #11185] Tue, 09 August 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Thrint is currently offline  Thrint
Baron
you can't have it both ways:
SET is more like a musical instrument- very linear amplification

and:
but with it's own set of harmonics

Just another way of saying, " I like the distortion spectra of a SET amp".

What I want is a means of measuring the sonic nuance which a good sounding amp has.

And on a more personal note, good amps are not limited to the SE topology.
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Budget Amp
Next Topic: Tweaker "universal" mono amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:40:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers