Home » Audio » Home Theater » Visual Symmetry vs Sound
Visual Symmetry vs Sound [message #77328] Tue, 30 July 2013 07:08 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have a friend who just moved. In her new house, they set up the TV and speakers in a narrow area. Unfortunately, they can do one of two things in this space; center the TV and speakers so they are symmetric to the couch (which can't be moved due to a second couch) and off-center on the wall or set them up so they look centered on the wall but then are off-center relative to the couch.

I told them they were being too inflexible in their living room arrangement and if something had to give, it should be the visual effect and not the sound, but they didn't listen to me. Razz
Re: Visual Symmetry vs Sound [message #77335 is a reply to message #77328] Tue, 30 July 2013 10:20 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Center the TV and speakers so they are symmetric to the couch. This will give the best sound and overall presentation.

Even if the speakers are capable of a tight pattern and uniform directivity, you want the mains to be symmetrical with respect to the listeners, if possible. A proper setup has a wide "sweet spot" so people sitting off-center will still get good sound, but still, it is better if they're generally centered, not too far one way or the other.

Most speakers do not provide uniform directivity, so they will sound bad if the listeners aren't close to being centered. Listeners will be drawn towards the nearer speaker, and the other one will sound almost like a surround. So it is even more important in this case that the speakers be symmetrical with respect to the audience.

Either way, you want the speakers and TV centered, symmetrical about the listening area.

Previous Topic: TV Mounting
Next Topic: Wall Mount or Stand
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 19:32:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout