Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » SET kits
SET kits [message #10503] Thu, 08 January 2004 15:24 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd love to see a list of DIY kits compiled.

If any of you know of some kits you'd like to recommend (and aren't affiliated with the kit makers), please list them here.

I know of the Paramour and Paraglow, and the Decware Zen. There are probably a bunch more like that too. So please sound off if you know some good ones.

Re: SET kits [message #10504 is a reply to message #10503] Sun, 11 January 2004 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
I don't have a list, but I've been looking over several kits to go with my Pi Theater 4s.
Indeed, Doc's kits look fantastic. For the money, they are a steal. I already have Doc's Foreplay preamp. So, a Paramour or Paraglow may be the next logical step for me. Several Theater 4 owners have had great results with the Paramours. Garland, Bill Epstein and several others here at the roundtable can attest to this.
I have narrowed my search down Doc's amps and two others. The DRD amps from Ron Welborne (Welborne Labs) look very well built. I like the simple design and the quality of parts. They have a great list of options, including both tube and SS rectification.
The third kit I am considering is the LadyDay+ from DIYHiFi Supply. Lots of good options with this 300b kit, too.
Right now, I am looking at a 300b with the Theater 4s. I would like a few more watts than I can get with a 2a3. I may be going against the grain, but I am leaning toward SS rectification. If done right, it seems to help with getting better bass. With the majority of my listening time spent with Rock, I think I may go with the SS.
I like the Sovtek 6N1P driver tubes Ron uses in his DRD amps, too. With all factors combined, I am leaning toward the DRD 300b at this point.
All three kits have a huge following the DIY community. I don't think I could go wrong with either of them. Doc, Ron and Brian Cherry with DIYHiFi Supply all seem to have very good support and customer service. I am thinking I may end up with a piece of equipment from all three companies. Doc's preamp, Ron's amp and Brian's new Bix turntable kit. That, along with Wayne's speakers and some DIY cables, and I should be very happy. Think of the all the tweaking that can be done with a system like this. All for less than $3,000.

old news [message #10506 is a reply to message #10503] Mon, 12 January 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
Sound Practices Issue 6 (Summer '94) listed Wellborne Labs, Carey, Audio Electronic Supply (AES), Audio Note, and I think Bottlehead is in there somewhere. I don't know if any are no longer in business. Fi is gone, I think.

The last Listener shows Marchand Electronics. The latest Vaccum Tube Valley shows S-5 Electronics advertising an SE kit for a hundred and forty dollars.

A web search shows Decware Zen as a kit.

I built Paramours which are in the process of going direct coupled. What a great learning experience. I'm now in the process of putting together a non-kit amp.

Hope this helps.

Re: SET kits [message #10507 is a reply to message #10504] Mon, 12 January 2004 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
newsjeff,

You have me drooling. If I needed another amp (or even if I didn't but I had the spare cash lying around) I'd get the Welborne 300B DRD kit in a minute. I have the Welborne Laurels and love them. They mate very nicely with the Foreplay.

Heaven help me, but I'm also with you on the 300B vs. 2A3 issue. As sensitive as the Theater 4s are, I still like the extra power a 300B provides for Mahler or Eminem.

Let us know how it turns out.

e

Re: SET kits [message #10525 is a reply to message #10503] Mon, 09 February 2004 12:32 Go to previous message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Wayne, you would be happy with just about anything from Ron Welborne. I have his Moondog' 2A3 mono's; the amps were some of the last he put together himself. At that time I didn't have the courage to tackle an amp project. Now I'm off modifying my 4play preamp.

Previous Topic: Seduction Preamp
Next Topic: What's Input Sensitivity Rating?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 12:54:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio