Home » Audio » Home Theater » Blu-Ray (Exactly what is it?)
Blu-Ray [message #76145] Tue, 02 April 2013 15:46 Go to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
Blu-Ray has been out for a while now, but I still haven't bought a Blu-Ray player. Exactly what is Blu-Ray and what makes it better than regular DVDs? If the picture is so much better/sharper/prettier/whatever than a regular DVD, why (and how) is that? And, given that Blu-Ray discs usually cost about twice what the non Blu-Ray movies cost, do you think the price difference is justified?
Re: Blu-Ray [message #76146 is a reply to message #76145] Tue, 02 April 2013 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Absolutely. Better picture, better sound. Kinda says it all.

Re: Blu-Ray [message #76244 is a reply to message #76145] Tue, 09 April 2013 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, the price difference is worth it. The visual resolution is six times higher, so you see that much more detail and clarity. The audio is advertised as lossless, meaning it matches that of the studio masters.

Of course, if you are watching with a really old TV and not using a decent surround system, you won't notice the improvements as much.
Re: Blu-Ray [message #77165 is a reply to message #76145] Tue, 09 July 2013 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roxxi is currently offline  roxxi
Chancellor
You don't need a Blu-Ray player if you don't have a newer large TV. I agree with that. I bought the player but had an older TV. I noticed almost no change. I went out and bought a 50 inch flat screen TV and watched a Blu-Ray DVD. Man, it was amazing. The color, the picture and the sound were all much better.
Re: Blu-Ray [message #77808 is a reply to message #76145] Mon, 09 September 2013 18:28 Go to previous message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
Blu-ray is a better overall picture and supports HD (High Definition). It works best with the HD televisions available today. My son has a PS3 with a Blu-Ray player and we connect to our flat-screen HD television to watch movies. Once you've watched a movie on Blu-Ray you won't buy/download anything else
Previous Topic: Fiber optic cables.
Next Topic: Television Size for Small Room
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 17:57:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout