Home » Audio » Home Theater » TV Mounting
TV Mounting [message #75326] Wed, 23 January 2013 14:30 Go to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
We have a 50" or 51" widescreen, flat panel television that my mother-in-law recently bought us a wall mount for. However, I have to admit that I'm kind of nervous about mounting a TV that large. Even though it's nowhere near as heavy as the 15 year-old TV that's sitting in our bedroom, it's not exactly a wall portrait. What's the best way to mount the TV so that it won't fall?
Re: TV Mounting [message #75329 is a reply to message #75326] Wed, 23 January 2013 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I suggest using a wall-mount made for that purpose. They're easy to install, just make sure to use lag bolts attached to studs. That's the most important part - Mounting to the studs.
Re: TV Mounting [message #75333 is a reply to message #75326] Wed, 23 January 2013 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
I don't know if you have children in your house or not, but if so you might want to take a look at this. We were going to wall mount ours until we saw that.
Re: TV Mounting [message #75335 is a reply to message #75333] Wed, 23 January 2013 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The wall-mount I suggested will actually make it much less likely that the television would fall on somebody than if it was just sitting on a stand. The lag bolts that hold the mount to the wall studs are very strong, and will support hundreds of pounds, way more than the televison weighs. And the television is firmly attached to the mount with large screws, again, able to support hundreds of pounds. So once it's up, it will stay there.

Re: TV Mounting [message #75366 is a reply to message #75326] Mon, 28 January 2013 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
Wayne, would the lag bolts that you're talking about be included in the hardware kit that comes with the wall mount, or would I need to purchase them separately?

Love2play - We don't have any children in the house, but I read that article anyway. It's heartbreaking to think that someone's child actually died because a flat screen TV fell on them! Sad
Re: TV Mounting [message #75368 is a reply to message #75366] Mon, 28 January 2013 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It probably depends on the kit. Lag bolts are cheap and available at any hardware store. They're just big beefy wood screws that go into the studs. You could mount an engine block to the wall with those things.

Re: TV Mounting [message #75369 is a reply to message #75326] Mon, 28 January 2013 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have small children and feel much more secure with our 46" TV mounted to the wall than on a stand. If you leave it on a stand, you still should anchor it to the wall.
Re: TV Mounting [message #75391 is a reply to message #75369] Wed, 30 January 2013 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
"Lag bolts are cheap and available at any hardware store. They're just big beefy wood screws that go into the studs. You could mount an engine block to the wall with those things." Laughing

We have our TV mounted to the wall with a high quality mount that we bought right after Christmas. If you mount it with the right hardware, like Wayne is talking about, it will not come down off the wall by itself - BELIEVE ME!
Re: TV Mounting [message #77309 is a reply to message #75326] Mon, 29 July 2013 07:48 Go to previous message
Jackson is currently offline  Jackson
Viscount
I have a 60 inch TV hanging on the wall with nothing more than 2 small pulleys and a piano style wire. It looks like this. We have never had any trouble with it even looking like it will fall. Wall mounts are pretty secure.
Previous Topic: Home Theater Sound Biases
Next Topic: Visual Symmetry vs Sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 18:05:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout