Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » amp questions
amp questions [message #10112] Wed, 29 April 2009 18:55 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
I read so many comments from sellers of amps but cannot seem to find the correct info just commentary. I have front loaded horns and what I am told is that low watted amps are best, Ok...and SET is better than Push pull? I do like my 2A3 over my fisher and pilot el-84 which seem veiled to muddy in comparison...But I would like 8-12 watts as some extra power helds very dymanic classical music. Like the Wright mono's 8wpc mono's or Audio Note intergrated 300b--others say the 300b is close to a 2A3 but will not have strong base ??? Looking at a JAS 2.3 using (new tube to me!) 6C33-- very simple design -- good for horns ?? any info would be welcome Jim

Re: amp questions [message #10113 is a reply to message #10112] Mon, 04 May 2009 17:01 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

In my experience, SET is always best but I've heard (and own) some really nice push-pull and UL amps. The Achilles heel of the SET amp is the output transformer, and output impedance may adversely affect bass response especially in terms of damping and the ability to deal with back EMF. Some SET amps have enough output resistance to put the speaker circuit in an underdamped condition, which results in muddy sounding bass. This is a speaker/amp interface issue, so not all speakers will react the same to any given amp and vice versa.

Previous Topic: 1st Scratch Build Done.
Next Topic: Fused cathode mod for Audio Note Kit 2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 10:40:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout