Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A...
To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A... [message #9690] Sat, 17 June 2006 17:48 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
hey-Hey!!!,
I'm looking for somebody who's seen one of MQ's new production( in comparison to the Altec/Peerless originals ). I'm looking for a description of one of the physical attributes of the S-271's core.

Exactly, how thick is the stack of Ni lamination in its core? I thought I'd seen a picture of one of these big outputs, but I don't remember where, and it was a homogeneous core.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A... [message #9691 is a reply to message #9690] Mon, 19 June 2006 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I think he has a thirty day return policy.

Re: To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A... [message #9692 is a reply to message #9691] Mon, 19 June 2006 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
I suppose I could ask, but I don't think there's any trusting the answer. I want to see what has already been done. That way, it's right there in black and silver( or as I suspect, just black ).

cheers,
Douglas

Re: To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A... [message #9693 is a reply to message #9691] Tue, 20 June 2006 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a riot! I can see Douglas placing the order - I'll bet Mike'll just send one right over.

Re: To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A... [message #9694 is a reply to message #9693] Wed, 21 June 2006 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
The acquisition process is not likely to be easy, but I don't see the return process to be nearly as easy...:) It isn't like I need anything but a picture of one of MQ's so-called exact copies to know the answer.

I have recieved some private correspondence that tells me there is no Ni in the new ones, that for some reason it was left out. Considering all the claims MQ makes about how good putting a few slices of Ni into a core stack, you'd think that for a $1k2 output TX, it would get the Ni. Seems like deciet on his part if it's left out while claiming a true reproduction.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A... [message #9695 is a reply to message #9694] Wed, 21 June 2006 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could have a neighbor buy one and see. Are you saying the transformer is advertised as being superior by having nickel in it but it doesn't?

Re: To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A... [message #9696 is a reply to message #9695] Wed, 21 June 2006 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think mikey has advertised the Ni pinstriping as being superior. The stuff he claims to be exact replicas appears to be a corners-cut attempt at that. I found a bit of Ni in the S271S I took apart, and I've not found any evidence which supports the idea that MQ ever put any in their so-called exact replicas. Actually I've found evidence which points to the opposite.

I suppose mikey could weigh in and tell his side, but there looks like nothing but an admission of what I have already spelled out, and he seems to have more trouble saying 'I was wrong' than the Fonz.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A... [message #9701 is a reply to message #9693] Thu, 06 July 2006 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gfederys is currently offline  gfederys
Baron
Maybe he has friends?

Re: To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A... [message #9702 is a reply to message #9701] Sun, 09 July 2006 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Actually, the only thing I trust MQ to do is continue behaving as he always has. There will be none of my money flowing to him, through an intermediary, or directly. There is nothing he can do for me that I cannot do for myself at a far better price and quality level. Besides, most of what he wants to do for me, I don't want done in the first place....:)

It's one thing to create a close copy. It is quite another to claim it is an exact and perfect copy. It is still up in the air as to how much it is going to cost me to have the 271 built w/o the Ni stripe. I have my doubts as to how much that stripe was helping/hurting the performance anyway. M4 or M3 should make for one very nice output. It is too bad there seems to be no way to get Ni done in that size.

cheers,
Douglas

Re: To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A... [message #9875 is a reply to message #9696] Tue, 26 December 2006 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bretldwig is currently offline  bretldwig
Esquire
I think the best policy is to copy the real Peerless product with as close precision as possible, to state that that is what has been done, and to adopt a policy of not even looking at the MQ versions. That way he cannot allege you have cobbed his necessary adaptations.

Not that it would matter anyway.

Previous Topic: need suggestions for baby-proof amp cabinet
Next Topic: Unity Gain Preamp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:56:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers