Home » Audio » Craftsmen » DIY Car Stereos: Worth the Effort?
DIY Car Stereos: Worth the Effort? [message #70438] Fri, 09 December 2011 14:01 Go to next message
mixinlady
Baron
I know my husband loves to replace the sound system in any new car he buys. Is this the first priority for your vehicles, or do you shop specifically for a car that already comes with quality speakers?
Re: DIY Car Stereos: Worth the Effort? [message #70445 is a reply to message #70438] Sun, 11 December 2011 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I used to have that affliction. Now I seldom even listen to music in the car unless it is a long trip. The peace and quiet is nice. The biggest problem I found with swapping out the original equipment was the difficulty caused by the auto company and their sometimes rather creative use of wiring. Of particular issue was the way they grounded the systems. It was also lots of fun trying to get either one or two 12 inch subwoofers installed.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: DIY Car Stereos: Worth the Effort? [message #71358 is a reply to message #70438] Sun, 12 February 2012 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LeeLee is currently offline  LeeLee
Chancellor
I really do not care about the speakers in a car, when I am buying one. I just want to make sure the car runs. I can always replace the speakers later, if I do not like them.
Re: DIY Car Stereos: Worth the Effort? [message #71495 is a reply to message #70438] Thu, 23 February 2012 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
I prefer to buy a car that has decent speakers. Then I don't have to worry about working on the sound right after I buy it. I don't always have the time for little projects like that, so I'd rather be comfortable doing it at my own pace.
Re: DIY Car Stereos: Worth the Effort? [message #71817 is a reply to message #70438] Sat, 17 March 2012 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jammin_nmy_livinroom is currently offline  jammin_nmy_livinroom
Chancellor
Normally I would rather buy a car with a nice stereo already installed. However, I came across a situation last time I was car shopping where one car had a significantly nicer stereo than another I was considering, but because of this, it was priced too high and the salesman was unwilling to negotiate a more reasonable price, so I actually ended up buying the car with the sub-par stereo because of the final sales price. So now I'm going to buy a nicer set up and have fun installing it myself!
Re: DIY Car Stereos: Worth the Effort? [message #71824 is a reply to message #70438] Sun, 18 March 2012 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This is not a priority for me. I don't go buy audio systems as a rule, so as long as the stereo in the car is tolerable, I'll go with it.
Re: DIY Car Stereos: Worth the Effort? [message #72134 is a reply to message #70438] Fri, 13 April 2012 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
A decent stereo is a factor when I'm buying a new car. I'll typically upgrade the speakers down the line and usually the head unit when the warranty expires. Used cars get the switcheroo right off the bat usually. I don't get to listen at home like I want, so the car is more often than not my music time unfortunately.
Re: DIY Car Stereos: Worth the Effort? [message #72381 is a reply to message #70438] Wed, 25 April 2012 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
Unless I just absolutely cannot afford it, I'll always buy a car with an upgraded sound system over one with factory-issue hardware. A bad stereo system is a deal breaker for me, because I travel a lot and spend a lot of time in my car.
Re: DIY Car Stereos: Worth the Effort? [message #74311 is a reply to message #70438] Wed, 31 October 2012 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zheka is currently offline  zheka
Viscount
in my (limited) experience, even factory upgraded car audio systems are mediocre at best.

for decent sound quality, proper custom installs with aftermarket components is the best bet.
Re: DIY Car Stereos: Worth the Effort? [message #74454 is a reply to message #74311] Mon, 12 November 2012 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
24KPython is currently offline  24KPython
Chancellor
Oh hell yeah, it's worth the effort! Smile Besides that, it's fun. Not to mention absolutely necessary to get anything remotely listenable to an audiophile.

Generally, my opinion is that the head unit is the least of the problems. The first thing I replace is the tiny cables with some quality 10-14 gauge copper - if not some high-end cables which are easy enough to DIY. Next up is to deal with the acoustics -- first by damping the ridiculous vibrations, so the car doesn't "fart" at every bass note -- and around the front speakers to tighten the imaging. Then to replace the front speakers and pad the under-dash area to reduce reflection. At that point, the sound should be "listenable". Smile
Previous Topic: Anyone making DIY Cables?
Next Topic: Wires up the wall - looking good
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 23:36:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout