Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » No more Riken resistors
No more Riken resistors [message #9252] Fri, 07 October 2005 23:42 Go to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
I just read this on the Parts Connexion website as I was about to order some Rikens, dated October 6:

"pcX was just informed by RIKEN's Japanese export agent that RIKEN will permanently "cease" production of it's very popular "audio grade" line of precision Carbon Film resistors. Factory production will stop entirely by February 2006....and final wholesale customer/OEM orders are required to be submitted to the factory asap....most certainly before year end 2005.

pcX already had good stocks accumulated of all 1/2, 1 and 2-watt values....but we are placing one "final" large stocking order (within the next few weeks), to help ensure on-going supply for the next couple of years...at least.

First Blackgate...now Riken...what a shame!"

Thermionic

Re: No more Riken resistors [message #9253 is a reply to message #9252] Sat, 08 October 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
so then, is there anything which can be used in their place?

I for one was not all that happy with the gold plating. Best results from tinned Cu. The solder is Tin and Copper, what do I want this Gold getting in the way for, no?

cheers,
Douglas

Re: No more Riken resistors [message #9254 is a reply to message #9253] Sat, 08 October 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just looking at the list of "Audio Note" tantal resistors, from their local distributors, "Hornet".
Well, 1/2W costs $4,5 , 1W=$8,3 , and 2W=$13,3 !
Has anybody experience with them?

Re: No more Riken resistors [message #9257 is a reply to message #9254] Sat, 08 October 2005 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I've not used the newer Audio Note tants (yet), but I do have some sitting here that I'm gonna slap in a new preamp pretty soon. Since it's a new build, I unfortunately won't be able to A/B then with another type.

I've used tons of the (now discontinued) Shinkoh tants. I haven't found anything I like as well for grid stoppers, although Rikens are definitely #2.

Thermionic

most expensive R.... [message #9258 is a reply to message #9257] Sun, 09 October 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had to break down and try the 2Watt WW Mills. high voltage, finger sized, and $6 each.

They are nice, but how much is my wallet pocket influencing my ears? As long as it is influencing my ears, I think I'll stick with them.

I like them well enough I'll probably buy them again just to keep the next design like the first. Too bad they're not less expensive. At least I only need two per amp.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: most expensive R.... [message #9260 is a reply to message #9258] Sun, 09 October 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The really high ticket parts are audiophile capacitors. Some of 'em are a hundred bucks each.

onlly if they're being marketed *TO* 'philes... [message #9262 is a reply to message #9260] Mon, 10 October 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Allen Wright made a few posts about one of his fav types of caps, no longer available. Siemems MKV, metalized polypropylene in oil AC film caps. I went to ebay and got 660VAC/1.5 uF for 30 cents each delivered...

BTW, it does appear that AC motor caps can take on a polarization when DC is applied in the surge excursion level. More on that as I get it...and yes, I was suprised to hear it.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: onlly if they're being marketed *TO* 'philes... [message #9263 is a reply to message #9262] Mon, 10 October 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
"BTW, it does appear that AC motor caps can take on a polarization when DC is applied in the surge excursion level. More on that as I get it...and yes, I was suprised to hear it.
cheers,
Douglas"

Do tell, I use those things in almost every piece of gear I build. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thermionic

polarizing film caps [message #9264 is a reply to message #9263] Mon, 10 October 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
like I said, more info as soon as I get it. I use them all ova the place too.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: No more Riken resistors [message #9291 is a reply to message #9253] Wed, 19 October 2005 13:14 Go to previous message
2wo is currently offline  2wo
Baron
I like the Kiwame resistors.

I think that the fact that the small ones are 2 watters, might be part of it...John

Previous Topic: out of my way Flanders! I've got a class to teach!
Next Topic: New tungsols from SRS and what happened...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:52:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio