Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » I'm Back.
I'm Back. [message #8800] Mon, 31 January 2005 19:53 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Douglas; I think I have isolated the disconnect here. You wrote;
The ESR of the caps seem to make very little difference. The data is either available from the manufacturer or guess. Tens of mohms to tenth of an ohm seems reasonable for a lytic.
We know what ESR is. I know what the meaning of mohms is; what I don't know is what the relevance of this information is to our situation. What exactly is it we are concerned with in relation to finding the ESR and determining the usefull range within the numbers you state.
I can assume it has to do with the filter and voltage drawdown affecting the voltage needed from the transformer.
Whether that is correct or not is unknown. We are hoping to find a middle ground between what seems obvious to you and what is not to us. I hope this helps to facilitate understanding. I think I speak for all in trying to find a common language point where we can meet.
Remmember this is exciting and new to us but probably rather old hat to you, witness you are already two circuit iterations ahead of our little thing. The pre-amp you show is entirely a different animal from the Guinevere. So we are men of the world so I will be blunt. You are speaking too advanced for some of us and we are having difficulty following you. Not on the schematic; all of us have built things from schematics; but on the reason for the design descisions and changes you make. When you rattle off specifications for changes we need to know why those changes are made and what effect they will have on the behaviour of the circuit and signal. It's a tall order I know. I hope this helps because we really want this to succeed on all levels. I know you know we appreciate this immensely. so; Thanks and looking forward to a good run on this.

Re: I'm Back. [message #8801 is a reply to message #8800] Mon, 31 January 2005 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ok...a bit at a time. There is a block in PSUD in thecapacitor specifications window( highlight the cap, right click and left click the 'Edit' box ). I only mentioned it as a semi-unimportant piece of input data.

I appreciate your asking little questions about details which are not spelled out adequately. I will share my design considerations and trade-offs as requested. Of ocurse, if I am guessing out of my butt, I will also tell you of this. I do try to keep it to a minimum.

For the DC filament supply, you can filter and drop voltage through a few resistors, or regulate with something like an LM317. I learned obout those things with Google and the diagrams proviede on the packaging Radio Shack sold them in.

After a bit of wrestling with the unregulated stuff I am using in the new one, I do miss the adjustability of an LM317 with a pot in its voltage setting circuit. I also remember making a few mistakes with the first building with the LM317...so I suppose there is no free lunch, just different lines at the same register. We'll get there together, I'm sure of it. Especially if you keep asking questions.
regards,
Douglas

Re: I'm Back. [message #8803 is a reply to message #8801] Tue, 01 February 2005 05:27 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks Douglas; I knew we could count on you.

Previous Topic: Proud Papa Syndrome (Check out my new amp...)
Next Topic: PSUD/switchercad
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:59:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout