Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » aX article "A Study System"
aX article "A Study System" [message #8714] Wed, 19 January 2005 23:14 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Did anyone catch the article in the newest (2/05) audioXpress entitled "A Study System, Part 1, The SE Amplifier?" This guy nailed it. I have subscribed to ax for several years, and this is hands-down the best DIY article I have seen to date. I can't wait for parts 2 and 3. There is hope after.....Colin

Re: aX article "A Study System" [message #8715 is a reply to message #8714] Thu, 20 January 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paba is currently offline  paba
Chancellor
I'm still waiting for my issue to arrive....
After I read the article I could comeback and share some thoughts.
Cheers
Paul

my aX isn't here yet [message #8719 is a reply to message #8714] Fri, 21 January 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
and I really want to see Pete Millet's article on the SE E-Linear amps. That is allegedly not in the publication que yet.
regards,
Douglas

here today afterall... [message #8720 is a reply to message #8714] Fri, 21 January 2005 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I am going to read that article in its entirety soon enough. I got bored enough that I started counting ad space v. DIY tube stuff. It is a depressing ratio. Maybe I should get offa my seat and contribute instead ov bitchin'...
regards,
Douglas

Re: here today afterall... [message #8721 is a reply to message #8720] Fri, 21 January 2005 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
For a beginner, like myself, the article was perfect. It was basic and the author did not take himself too seriously.

I think you should write an article based on the the preamp we're doing over at the "Group Build.".....Colin

I have an idea... [message #8722 is a reply to message #8721] Fri, 21 January 2005 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The SE amp was a neat one. There was one I have heard, called STC Amp. A triode connected 6AK5 feeding a 6BM8 as in the article. Nice for flea power. No linestage needed and I believe NFB was employed in some fashion.

The Guinevere saga would indeed be interesting. The parts which have I have gotten the most out of has been trying to anticipate all the questions and offer choices and alternative methods of solving the design issues.

Since personal taste is such an issue with this hobby, setting out a single means of doing the job is almost impossible. There have been a few unique circumstances which have both helped and interfered with the project.

The primary one being a small number of forum participants. This cuts both ways. It cuts down on background noise, and stuff like, 'you idiot! that way sucks...my way is best'. It also cuts down on the number of 'my way' options which get presented.

Writing would get in the way of more building though...
regards,
Douglas

Re: I have an idea... [message #8723 is a reply to message #8722] Fri, 21 January 2005 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I think success will bring more to the dance. I have faith now in the ultimate sound and am very confident. Maybe gathering all the pertinate posts and arranging according to subject? Try to spread the word as much as possible. BTW what is the PP design you have percolating for this effort? If I may ask. See; if pre-amps are so easy according to anecdotal myth; why are there so few good ones?

'cause it *IS* a myth... [message #8724 is a reply to message #8723] Fri, 21 January 2005 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
too many myths, too much confusion, too many 'rule of thumb' set out by folks who have too many of them( thumbs that is...).

For a PP amp, this is the general set of design specs( in no particular order):
good sound
availability of parts
inexpensive, plentiful tubes
sane B+ ( less than 400V, likely ~300 )
accessable design( no ridiculous tricks required )
ease of troubleshooting
few parts
10-20 Watts ( with samll variation, 30 )
Class A bias of power stage
1-man, single channel portability

For a general idea: 807's @ 280V/80 mA into 10k with 40% U-L screen taps. E-Linear connected 6BK7B phase splitter front end.

For a bit more power, EL34 into 5k-6k6....or KT88/6550's at 350v/110 mA.

Again, soooo many opinions as to what is the 'best' way and so many means of doing a very similar thing. It all depends on taste and a few basic requirements. What do you want? is one which ought to get answered first.
regards,
Douglas

Re: I have an idea... [message #8725 is a reply to message #8722] Fri, 21 January 2005 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The one thing I worried about when we started was "too many cooks." I am very happy the way it worked out and every one is in agreement. No stepping on toes so far. Everyone has played real nice.,,,,Colin

Writing would get in the way of more building though... [message #8726 is a reply to message #8722] Sat, 22 January 2005 10:06 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Like my research advisor used to say: if it ain't worth publishing, it ain't worth doing......Colin

Previous Topic: Do You Know Which Is The Best 845 Tube?
Next Topic: How does an tube amplifier works?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:26:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio