Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Bypassing Caps
Bypassing Caps [message #8701] Tue, 18 January 2005 18:09 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Would anyone be so kind as to try and explain why and how bypassing electrolytic caps in a PS with small polyprops can restore the lost high frequencies due to the electrolytics, to the signal? I have a hard time with understanding that. Thanks; J.R.

Re: Bypassing Caps [message #8702 is a reply to message #8701] Tue, 18 January 2005 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
Would anyone be so kind as to try and explain why and how bypassing electrolytic caps in a PS with small polyprops can restore the lost high frequencies due to the electrolytics, to the signal?

They don't, really.

What happens with large value caps of any type (especially electrolytics generally) is that their ESR (equivalent series resistance) starts to rise again at high frequencies.  Thus, hi-freek noise will 'float across the top' of these caps.  The little film cap addresses this problem, taking over from the big electro at these freeks to keep the DC supply quiet, and so allow the extreme highs of the signal to be better perceived, being now higher above the noise floor.

This trick is not without its hazards.  Since all capicitors have residual inductance and resistance, any combination of two or more of them may (or not) create a resonant LCR filter which will ring at its own resonant frequency or frequencies.  My own experience indicates that bypassing is not a foolproof fix for bad electros in the filter; the bypass value and type must be experimentally evaluated by ear and scope (since the residual R and L values are almost always not cited in the specs, being example dependent), and this can be laborious.

A better tactic is to use caps (electrolytic or otherwise) as power supply 'tanks' that minimize these effects in the first place.  Motor runs, Unlytics, Black Gates, Cerafines.  The best of the currently manufactured 'lytics that I know of are Panasonic TSHA, available up to 400v, and cheap enough to series for more voltage economically.  I get these from Cheryl at Digi-Key for less than five clams each; better if I get ten.  Clear, quiet, transparent, and I save the price of the bypass; they end up practically free!

2¢ for free,

Poinz

Re: Bypassing Caps [message #8703 is a reply to message #8701] Wed, 19 January 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TubeCraft is currently offline  TubeCraft
Baron
I bypass electrolytics with medium size caps (usually 1-5uf Solens or paper-in-oils) to avoid problems with the small-value bypass cap interacting with the L of the larger 'lytic. I always use the largest value that will fit in the space available. I think the low ESR of the Solens help with clarity right on down through the mid-bass. That's just what I hear. I just wish I had to scope to play with...

(BTW - I'm not really smart enough to come up with this on my own - I think I read it in an old issue of Sound Practices - the interview with Jim Fosgate.)

After all, when's the last time you saw a 'lytic in a good speaker crossover?

TC

Re: Bypassing Caps [message #8704 is a reply to message #8702] Wed, 19 January 2005 06:27 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks Poinz; that is exactly what I needed. J.R.

Previous Topic: Ever wondered what makes tubes sound different from transistor amps?
Next Topic: Today's Puzzler
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:05:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout