Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Japanese philosophy
Re: Japanese philosophy [message #8248 is a reply to message #8247] Fri, 11 June 2004 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes I have followed your essays in V.T.V and quite agree with your point of view( although I must admitt it seems a stretch to compare bad cartoons to SE amps, but who knows?). Here's the rub. It's my belief there is a reference standard, not in the sense of equipment lists or comparisons to live music but in the sense of the emotional response to music. We all have been to bad sounding concerts and heard bad sounding home systems, every aspect of reproduction fluctuates. However; when it's right everyone knows it. When the sound at a concert jells with the music or when the sound of a home system locks in there is no denying that even innocent bystanders can tell there is something special happening. Thats the quest and my point was that we in this country seem not to understand that this is the reason to pursue the hobby, not to fulfill mythical criteria or exacting tech graphs. Those are tools. Thanks for your comments; they are always thought provoking.

Re: but master........ [message #8251 is a reply to message #8238] Sat, 12 June 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Terry,

On a similar but unrelated subject, I have a few thoughts about speaker drivers. That's something near and dear to your heart, I think.

If I remember correctly, you use Fostex drivers in your speaker systems, maybe Lowthers too. They're a couple of favorites for single driver enthusiasts. Personally, I really like the sound of the Fostex speakers I've heard.

I wonder what you'd think about having Eminence make a high-quality part tuned to work in your cabinets. Something with electro-mechanical specs suitable for your cabinets and a low-distortion symmetrical flux stabilized magnetic structure. Eminence makes drivers having various cone shapes and materials, so you have a good choice there as well. I'm not talking about a budget model here - I'm talking about a statement product. If you could have Eminence pull out all the stops for a high-end full-range driver, would you give it a go?

I ask this because I can't help but think it's viable. They have a lot of experience and they are capable of doing some really high-quality work. Ever since they started making speakers with shorting rings, they've become a top-quality player, in my opinion.

Another thing that makes me think about it is the JBL 2115. It was a wonderful little 8" full-range driver that was capable of great sound from 30Hz all the way up to 10kHz. All you really needed was a super tweeter and you had the basis for an excellent little speaker system. I used them in high-quality one π loudspeakers in the 1980's. They were 93dB/W/M and handled 50 watts, so they were suitable for studio monitors. Not real high output, but very good sound.

It occurs to me that the Fostex F-220A speaker is almost exactly the same thing as the JBL 2115. They look so much the same, I can't tell them apart from the front. And the specs are very similar too. The thing is that I'd love to have a similar part made by Eminence, and I think they're capable of it. I've also considered having something made that's tuned like the Alpha 10 but with a symmetrical flux stabilized motor, so that's another thing on my wish list. I'd love to have one or two specific high-quality full-range 8" and 10" speakers. I'm guessing you'd probably add a 6" driver or two to that list.

So I'm just thinking aloud here. What do you think?

Wayne

Re: but master........ [message #8256 is a reply to message #8251] Mon, 14 June 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TC is currently offline  TC
Baron
Hi Wayne,

>>I wonder what you'd think about having Eminence make a high-quality part tuned to work in your cabinets.

==I'd prefer to do it the other way around. There's far far more at stake building drivers. If Eminence had a driver I like I'd use it in my products.

>>Another thing that makes me think about it is the JBL 2115.

==It is a very fine driver.

>>It occurs to me that the Fostex F-220A speaker is almost exactly the same thing as the JBL 2115. They look so much the same, I can't tell them apart from the front

==Like Datsun engine blocks of the 70's that mimmicked Mercedes to the gnat, Many Fostex aspects look like JBL only more refined if you look closely. The first thing I look at is the basket. CNC die, spun cast aluminum, as beefy as they make it gives an insight into the start of the engineering in these drivers.

>>So I'm just thinking aloud here. What do you think?

==I think it's time for some real work....

TC

Re: but master........ [message #8257 is a reply to message #8256] Mon, 14 June 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Terry,

You wrote:

>> If Eminence had a driver I like I'd use it in my products.

What would you like?

I ask because there are a couple drivers I'd like, and I think I've mentioned them to you. What I'm looking for is pretty well defined. So I'm sort of wondering what your requirements might be, because our requirements might be similar. If that's the case, we may be able to have something made that we both would want to use.

>> Many Fostex aspects look like JBL only more refined if you look
>> closely. The first thing I look at is the basket. CNC die, spun
>> cast aluminum, as beefy as they make it gives an insight into the
>> start of the engineering in these drivers.

Fostex parts do look nice. But the machining done on JBL parts is pretty tough to beat. Either way, I'd say they're both very fine drivers. I wonder if we got out the micrometer and the flux meter, which would be made to more exacting tolerances. Honestly, I'd place my bet on JBL on this one. But then again, it's probably part specific, and if we started doing the one-upmanship thing, we'd most certainly find that each plant was capable of outdoing themselves with each new project. So I think probably we'd also find that both factories were capable of doing top-notch work. And I'd say both make excellent parts, so a person probably wouldn't be disappointed either way.

>> I think it's time for some real work....

Whatcha up to?

Wayne

Re: drivers [message #8258 is a reply to message #8257] Mon, 14 June 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TC is currently offline  TC
Baron

>>What would you like? I ask because there are a couple drivers I'd like, and I think I've mentioned them to you. What I'm looking for is pretty well defined. So I'm sort of wondering what your requirements might be, because our requirements might be similar. If that's the case, we may be able to have something made that we both would want to use.

===Drivers for me are a given. For now the Fostex line offers plenty of challenge to *keep up* with as far as cabinet design. I firmly believe that cabinet design and fab can always be optimized further, so I choose to focus here.

As far as driver design goes, I am very happy to leave that to the experts, of which I am not and happy to admit. So my focus is on drivers (current) application.

>>Whatcha up to?

==making sawdust.

TC

Re: drivers [message #8259 is a reply to message #8258] Mon, 14 June 2004 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I understand. That's a pretty good way to go at it.

What I was thinking of was a very high quality part tuned for a specific application. Not so much designing the motor structures, cone materials and geometries 'cause I agree with you there. I was planning to leave that part to Eminence. But they'll build parts to spec, if the specs are possible for them to build. Now that they are building Magnum's, they're able to make some really good parts, like the JBL SFG series. So I thought it might be nice to have them make something like the JBL 2115, which is no longer available. They could make it with a machined cast frame, symmetrical flux stabilized motor structure, and one of a variety of full-range cone designs. Might be worthwhile to see what they could do; Maybe it would be something really special.

Re: Japanese philosophy [message #8262 is a reply to message #8248] Tue, 15 June 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
No one denies that all human beings are fallible.

One "generalization" about asian cultures in general (esp Japanese & Korean) is that they are very prone to herd behavior, to deifying humans, and to following a trend almost fanatically. I suspect some folk figured out that top of the line vintage speakers sound better than medium and low priced modern speakers (though probably not as good as top of the line new speakers) and bought a few with their tube amps. This started a maniacal trend. To read some "zen" philosophy into this would be a mistake in my opinion. I suspect the "Japanese masters" who meditate before building their tube amps (filled with vintage western tubes i might add) are just making a sales pitch. Unfortunately, the audiophile community is also very prone to herd behavior (enthusiasts by nature are, i thnk).

Having said that, i have to admit that i love my SET amps, and my vintage american drivers....:-)

And yes i do drive my Klipschorns with SETs.
However, in all fairness, i have never owned a high end setup by modern standards. I have heard one or two that didn't seem to sound that much better than mine, but that was just my bias probably...one always loves what one builds, right?

well off to designing a passive preamp for my latest SET...
-akhilesh

Re: Japanese philosophy [message #8272 is a reply to message #8262] Wed, 16 June 2004 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks for responding AK. I really never mean't to deify an entire nation; my post basically attempted to comment on the Japanese sites on the web that give the impression of observing all facets of audio reproduction as an integrated whole that takes into account the complicated interrelationships between all active and passive components and assembles the different system parameters according to exhaustive trial and error. Similar to the way good luthiers build stringed instruments. What SE amp is this you mention; not the Zen or the ASUSA? I too am in the quest mode; after finishing the little el84 I am pondering whether to attempt a Williamson PP. First I wil try the Stoekit for a while. Ciao for Now,J.R.

Re: Japanese philosophy [message #8273 is a reply to message #8272] Wed, 16 June 2004 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI JR,
It's a 45 SET, vert very low powered (about a watt)
Other alternatives would be like a 300B or a 2a3.
It's a home made amp..one of a kind. I have heard the FI amps are good manufactured o0nes.
If you do go PP, i would suggest use great parts...those will make a difference in my experience.
-akhilesh

Re: Japanese philosophy [message #8275 is a reply to message #8273] Wed, 16 June 2004 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes absolutely; check the posts ealier about the Korneff, a great amp. I have lived with my EAR SE for 7 yrs and am beggining to long for a little more depth of field lately. Hence the Williamson or likewise.

Previous Topic: williamson amp
Next Topic: Vintage amp "fuzzies"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 00:38:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout