Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » what's the diff in these tubes?
what's the diff in these tubes? [message #8144] Tue, 23 March 2004 12:11 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
So I'm shopping another vintage (read : poor boy budget ) amp and I come across EL84 tube amps ( of which I own one ) as being so sweet and another that has "powerful" image using 6v6's tubes and another that has 6L6's tube which are highly under valued for their musicality----Is this BS and these guys are selling a used amp or is there tubes that just Ok and other that are nicer sounding---Or is this simply a Picasso lover saying Monet was just a Ok painter ? JD

Re: what's the diff in these tubes? [message #8145 is a reply to message #8144] Tue, 23 March 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Jim!

When we have the next audio club meeting, I'll bring my amp and we'll swap out the Valve Art 2A3's with Electro-Harmonix 2A3's to hear the difference in those. If Akhilesh or Phil bring their Zen amp, you will also hear the difference in sound of it. Of course, that means you'll be hearing a different output transformer and circuit configuration, but still, you'll be able to hear a handful of tubes.

Wayne

Re: what's the diff in these tubes? [message #8146 is a reply to message #8145] Wed, 24 March 2004 11:07 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The zen uses el84s also (well sv83s which are essentially the same) in triode mode.
I have heard a single plate 2a3 (Mark Fitz) and it was VERY different from the zen. very nice amp. I have also heard Wayne's paramours, which are very good. I would LOVe to hear the paramours with the new tubes, since the buzz was bothering me to the point where i could not focus on the midrange. I suspect with the new tubes the paramours will give the zens a run for their money.

-akhilesh

Previous Topic: SE 845 LOW VOLTAGE AMP
Next Topic: Saturday meeting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 10:38:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers