Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Preamp Kit recommendations
Preamp Kit recommendations [message #8089] Fri, 13 February 2004 09:45 Go to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Looking for a really good active preamp kit. I have the 4play, but want something a little more articulate and with a little less sonic coloring, which omits the AES stuff. I've heard the old Basie - too euphonic for my tastes, but have not heard the new Basie II - anyone have experience with this new model Basie? What do you guys think of the Transcendent Sound preamp? All suggestions would be very welcome.

Re: Preamp Kit recommendations [message #8090 is a reply to message #8089] Fri, 13 February 2004 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Haven't heard it but if you wait long enough I might. I've had my eye on this one:

Re: Preamp Kit recommendations [message #8091 is a reply to message #8090] Sat, 14 February 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Wow, Bill, that looks really good. I might have to join you on this deal and give it a try.

Re: Preamp Kit recommendations [message #8093 is a reply to message #8089] Sun, 15 February 2004 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
Check out the Welborne Labs preamp. www.welbornelabs.com

Re: Preamp Kit recommendations [message #8099 is a reply to message #8091] Fri, 20 February 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
I've heard the Decware plate preamp. It's very harsh and screechy, thin and lifeless. Hard to believe Decware produced something so poor, IMO. The Transcendent Grounded Grid (bad to the bone, awesome, my fave!) as well as the Foreplay and Decware's other preamps such as the ZTPRE are much better choices.

Thermionic

Re: Preamp Kit recommendations [message #8100 is a reply to message #8099] Fri, 20 February 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Probably has to do with the "superior 6dj8 family of tubes". Recently got a preamp that uses these in the line stage and it is exactly as you describe, screechy. i have tried all manner of the hot 6dj8/6922 with hardly any benefit. Plus, you need about 10 of them to get 3 or 4 that are half way stable. Often, even new, one side is way to strong, the other too weak. Play them a couple of hours and retest, and they are not the same. Contrary to the decware story, my 12ax7a preamp, AVA superpas III kit is always a pleasure.

Russellc

Re: Preamp Kit recommendations [message #8111 is a reply to message #8089] Mon, 23 February 2004 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phil Wilson is currently offline  Phil Wilson
Chancellor
I was yhinking about the Zen plate too. Any link on this transcendent sound pre?

Oops. I read the posts below... [message #8112 is a reply to message #8111] Mon, 23 February 2004 20:54 Go to previous message
Phil Wilson is currently offline  Phil Wilson
Chancellor
...on the transcendent amps - cool and close to t-town. And I was "thinking" not "yhinking".

Previous Topic: Wright Sound WPL20
Next Topic: Cadet 3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 20:02:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout