Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Audible Illusions
Audible Illusions [message #8044] Tue, 06 January 2004 22:16 Go to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have a Modulus L-1 and It has terrific sound. I'm wondering if anyone else has problems with this unit and hum. It can be dead quiet but its very picky about the location it sits in, or it will have a background 60hz hum. Possible from power supplies from other equipments?

Bill

Re: Audible Illusions [message #8045 is a reply to message #8044] Wed, 07 January 2004 00:13 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Noise can certainly come from inductive or capacitive coupling, so you could expect to pick up noise when a high-impedance circuit is placed near something like a large power transformer, fluorescent light or electric motor.

But you might also check your wiring. If a cable has a loose connection - particularly the ground - then these kinds of symptoms often result. It will be perfect in one position because the ground connection is solid. Then you move it and the ground opens up, so the circuit becomes noisy.

You can also find examples that go the other way. If a ground loop condition exists, then removing a ground connection is actually preferred. You only want a single point ground, or at least, that no current flows between ground connections. When there is current flow along a ground conductor, then any resistance in this conductor will cause a voltage drop. So connection at different places along this condutor will then have different voltage potentials, instead of the expected 0.0v reference ground.

I think some experimentation is in order. Try different cables, and try different sources and amps. We want to isolate the problem. You can also try different positions, but I think you'll want to verify that your connections are proper first. Otherwise it's easy to chase your tail.

Previous Topic: Fisher 400 - upgrades?
Next Topic: fisher 400 mini review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 02:31:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout