Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Basie II preamp
Basie II preamp [message #8037] Thu, 01 January 2004 18:49 Go to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
I'm looking for opinions on the sound of the Basie II preamp - the one with the phono stage. I'm listening to the Bottlehead Foreplay preamp and have no complaints; no hum or hissing can be heard from the speakers.

Re: Basie II preamp [message #8038 is a reply to message #8037] Thu, 01 January 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Cant tell you about the Basie II. I do have a Basie that is only a few years old collecting dust. It's not a good sounding preamp and the stepped attenuator is a bad option for low level listening.

Bill

sugestions ??? [message #8041 is a reply to message #8038] Fri, 02 January 2004 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Thanks for your input Bill. I like putting kits together, except when they fail the smooke test. Do you have a recomendation or two for a preamp kit?

Re: a couple [message #8042 is a reply to message #8041] Fri, 02 January 2004 17:52 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I like putting the kits together too. It's very relaxing and always a prize at the end of the journey.

The Foreplay preamp from Bottlehead is always a winner. I think there are some options to make it very quiet if it hasn't been upgraded in the kit yet. Very nice preamp.

Marchand Electronics makes a passive preamp which is simple, clean and great sounding. Talk to Phil and he can make it however you would want.

The Basie I have is a stock unit other than the DACT attenuator. There are a whole bunch of "options" you can buy/use/replace the stock components with. I found in stock trim the unit sounded compressed and less dynamic than having no preamp at all. The bass below 50hz is also rolled off pretty well. This can be confirmed with an FFT spectrum analyzer too.

If you really want to build a basie then I would definitely email Brian Cherry. He is a very friendly gentleman as well as helpful. Feel free to mention what I find as short comings, He may know just hoe to change things. It's a good kit and a fine piece. It's just not musical and becomes entry level quality after only a short time of listening.

Bill

Previous Topic: tube amps should have tube pre-amps ?
Next Topic: Fisher 400 - upgrades?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 04:24:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout