Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » tube amps should have tube pre-amps ?
tube amps should have tube pre-amps ? [message #8032] Mon, 29 December 2003 12:35 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
I have listened to so many different stories and I now bring to the table----is there a rule of thumb SS amps hook up to SS Pre-amps and Tube amps should only ( or sound best with ) tube pre-amps---I got the story from a local that tube to tube is best---and the feedback is??????? Jim

kind of a to each his own... [message #8033 is a reply to message #8032] Mon, 29 December 2003 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
Many of the popular integrated tube amps are SS to tube in one box. The purist are for tube -tube because of their mantra that by the very nature of electronic translations noise is introduced at a much greater level than with the less complicated path take by tube based units.

The answer is really difficult to say for sure. Mismatched equipment can happen regardless of purity and some combinations just flat out sound bad. The good news is you can play around and find out for yourself - since most of us color our solutions on what sounds best to us there is rarely a holy grail.

I have a very pleasant sound with SS serving as a pre, however it does seem somewhat brighter than the tube- tube set ups I have heard. The interesting part is I prefer that brighter sound with the blending smoothness - to each their own...

Re: tube amps should have tube pre-amps ? [message #8039 is a reply to message #8032] Fri, 02 January 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
My tube amp sounded just fine using my Carver SS preamp. It also sounds fine with my current tube preamp. I'm sure quality and design of the equipment are key here.

Re: tube amps should have tube pre-amps ? [message #8040 is a reply to message #8039] Fri, 02 January 2004 00:44 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm sure you're right. I have both tube and solid-state preamps, and while the Foreplay tube preamp sounds slightly different than the NAD or Carver semiconductor preamps, they all sound very good. I like having an all-tube system, but the NAD preamp probably is the best sounding, all-in-all. No knocking the Foreplay - It's great. But I'm just saying that I wouldn't knock a solid state preamp either, just because it is solid state.

Perhaps it's a sacrilege to say on the tubes forum, but I do not believe that vacuum tube circuits are inherently superior to silicon. They are pretty cool though. A good tube amp sounds great, and the glow of the filaments is enchanting. The blue glow off my 2A3's pulses with the music, and it is like watching the dancing flames of a fire. And hey, if you get hit by a nuclear blast, your valve gear will still work after the EMF pulse. That's always a bonus.

Previous Topic: Got a Fisher 400 coming - upgrades?
Next Topic: Basie II preamp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 04:29:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout