Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Tube testing
Tube testing [message #8024] Mon, 08 December 2003 12:24 Go to next message
tom is currently offline  tom
Chancellor
Could anyone tell me how to use a tube tester, or where a good resource for figuring that out is.

I have a bunch of old tubes and I'm trying to get a tester currently, but I don't know how to use it and haven't been able to find a good resource on the net.

Any info would be great, Thanks.

Re: Tube testing [message #8025 is a reply to message #8024] Mon, 08 December 2003 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Tom!

Look around on eBay. There are lots and lots of tube testers sold there, and many have the charts with them. With the charts, you'll set some switches and dials as indicated and read the results on a built-in meter. Better testers will test more variety of tubes, and will test more things inside each tube.

There's a few books on tube testing available, and they tell you things like how to get the most out of your tester. I can't recall where to get those books, but I suspect that if you look around on eBay, you'll run across an auction or two that has a link to books like these.

Happy hunting!

Wayne

Go here and.. [message #8026 is a reply to message #8024] Fri, 12 December 2003 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryW is currently offline  HenryW
Baron
See if you can get in conversation with the owner - Craig.

http://www.nosvalves.com/

He has been very helpful to bunches of folks and he may also offer a deal on testing, but he will surely give his opinion of what you can do.

Henry

Re: Tube testing [message #8027 is a reply to message #8024] Mon, 22 December 2003 09:49 Go to previous message
NUMA is currently offline  NUMA
Chancellor
It's really really important that you get the "rolls" or charts (tester specific) that came with your tester. My tester for instance would be totally worthless without them. Also, I would recommend getting one of those wonderful old RCA tube compatibility books, they can help you test tubes that aren't listed in the tester rolls.

kris

Previous Topic: Gee Guys........Can I play ??
Next Topic: tube amp repairs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 07:57:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout