Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Could someone point me toward an inexpensive tube amp?
Could someone point me toward an inexpensive tube amp? [message #61993] Fri, 05 March 2010 12:51 Go to next message
Rick B is currently offline  Rick B
Esquire
I'm messing around with a tri-amped project and need a small inexpensive tube amp to drive my tweeters with. They're compression horn tweets and a couple watts per side would work fine.

I've looked at the "Audio Angel" Chinese amps on ebay and they're quite cheap price wise. Anyone here familiar with them?

Anyone know of anything else around?

All I need is one set of line level RCA ins and output jacks for two speakers. A volume control would be nice too.

Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MA-6P1-6AQ5-x4-Hi-End-Stereo-Integrated-Tube-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ280469456700QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414d48473c

TIA

Rick
Re: Could someone point me toward an inexpensive tube amp? [message #61994 is a reply to message #61993] Fri, 05 March 2010 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like Audio Note amps, but they're not what I'd call cheap. They aren't real expensive either, so I think they're worth a mention.

Then there are the Stoetkit amps, which I think are great but hard to get. Once Frank Stuppel died, I sort of lost my connection. So I guess I'm no help there.

Look also at amps from DIYhifiSupply and Welborne Labs.

Of course, you also have Bottlehead amps. They sound pretty nice and are fun to build. They're like small block Chevys, with lots of upgrade parts and good support. I always hated how they looked, like an erector set, if you asked me, but that's easy enough to change. Build a custom chassis and make it as pretty as you please.

Re: Could someone point me toward an inexpensive tube amp? [message #63040 is a reply to message #61994] Wed, 02 June 2010 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimdgoulding is currently offline  jimdgoulding
Chancellor
http://store.virtueaudio.com/category-s/27.htm

Hear your music, not your speakers
Re: Could someone point me toward an inexpensive tube amp? [message #63042 is a reply to message #63040] Wed, 02 June 2010 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I saw those at LSAF and they seemed like neat little amps, but I think Virtue Audio only makes digital amps. The only ones listed on their shopping cart are digital. Do they make any tube amps? I don't think they do, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Re: Could someone point me toward an inexpensive tube amp? [message #63045 is a reply to message #63042] Wed, 02 June 2010 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Oh my, it wasn't Virtue I was thinking about, it was Dodd Audio. I don't know how much they are.

Re: Could someone point me toward an inexpensive tube amp? [message #63054 is a reply to message #63045] Thu, 03 June 2010 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, gotcha. I did see Dodd Audio makes tube amps. Do you know if they make kits? If Rick needs to save money, kits are a good way to keep the cost down. Might be an option. Then again, the Dodd Audio stuff might be real reasonably priced anyway. Definitely worth checking! Hopefully they'll chime in here with some prices.

Re: Could someone point me toward an inexpensive tube amp? [message #63056 is a reply to message #63054] Thu, 03 June 2010 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I don't know, sorry.

Re: Could someone point me toward an inexpensive tube amp? [message #63115 is a reply to message #61993] Wed, 09 June 2010 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
JoLida, perhaps, also.

Re: Could someone point me toward an inexpensive tube amp? [message #65105 is a reply to message #61993] Thu, 02 December 2010 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I like Audio Note amps as well. You can buy outright or they do offer kits if you are interested in building one yourself. That would be a fun project.
Re: Could someone point me toward an inexpensive tube amp? [message #65283 is a reply to message #61993] Tue, 14 December 2010 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I see Mono (?) all-tube pre-maps in Sweetwater's catalogue for 100 bucks a piece. Their I/O is 1/4 mono jacks, I believe.

I am not an amplifier expert by any means, but shouldn't that work?

Previous Topic: $97 Tube iPod Docking System
Next Topic: Houston Audio Society Flea Market
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 11:19:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout